turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why haven't my federal taxes been paid? I scheduled them to pay on 5/17, and the IRS accepted my return on 5/21 but the money hasn't left my checking account.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why haven't my federal taxes been paid? I scheduled them to pay on 5/17, and the IRS accepted my return on 5/21 but the money hasn't left my checking account.

If you selected Direct Debit from your bank account to pay the Federal taxes owed, that information was sent with your e-filed federal tax return.

Look at the Federal Information Worksheet in Part V.  The bank name, routing number, account number and the date you selected to pay the taxes owed will be entered.  If you did not select Direct Debit from your bank account then nothing will be in Part V.  Look on your Federal Filing Instruction page for how you selected to pay the Federal taxes owed.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

For the State taxes owed the same type of information will be on the State Information Worksheet in Part V of the worksheet and on the State Filing Instructions page.

However SOME STATES  do not allow state taxes owed to be paid by Direct Debit when using tax preparation software.  They require the payment by Direct Debit only when using the State tax authorities website. If this is the case for your state not only did the program tell you in the FILE tab step 2 the instructions were also included in the PDF file of the return.  

2) the IRS just has not gotten around to it yet  or  your bank/CC has not posted it yet.

When will my tax payment go through?

(If you’re filing your taxes on May 17 and are having direct debit issues, go here.)

During non-peak times, funds are usually withdrawn on the payment date you specify, assuming your e-filed return has already been accepted (received) by the IRS.

If that date happens to fall on a weekend or federal holiday, the funds are typically withdrawn the next business day.

Now, if you filed right before (or on) the busy May 17, 2021deadline, the IRS may not be able to debit your payment until after the deadline, due to high e-filing volume. In addition, it can take your bank another few days to post the debit to your account.

No worries; as long as you filed your return or extension on or before May 17, 2021 and you selected May 17, 2021 (or earlier) as your payment date, you won't get penalized for late payment. 

In the meantime, keep an eye on your bank account — if you still don't see the debit  15- 30 days after your return has been accepted, call IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 or contact your state tax agency, as appropriate.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The payment request was sent to the IRS with your return NOT in advance and the IRS will eventually debit the account when they come up for air as  they are overwhelmed with returns to process this year as you can see it took them 4 days to even accept the return.  So write the amount out of your account now because it will disappear sometime (last year it took months for all the debits to happen).

Thank you. Is there a way I can confirm that TurboTax sent the IRS my request to make payment? I don't want to wait and find out two months from now that TurboTax actually never told the IRS that I authorized payment.

If you selected Direct Debit from your bank account to pay the Federal taxes owed, that information was sent with your e-filed federal tax return.

Look at the Federal Information Worksheet in Part V.  The bank name, routing number, account number and the date you selected to pay the taxes owed will be entered.  If you did not select Direct Debit from your bank account then nothing will be in Part V.  Look on your Federal Filing Instruction page for how you selected to pay the Federal taxes owed.

To access your current or prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

When you sign onto your online account and land on the Tax Home web page, scroll down and click on Add a state. 

This will take you back to the 2020 online tax return.

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Then click on Print Center.  Then click on Print, save or preview this year's return.  Choose the option Include government and TurboTax worksheets

For the State taxes owed the same type of information will be on the State Information Worksheet in Part V of the worksheet and on the State Filing Instructions page.

However SOME STATES  do not allow state taxes owed to be paid by Direct Debit when using tax preparation software.  They require the payment by Direct Debit only when using the State tax authorities website. If this is the case for your state not only did the program tell you in the FILE tab step 2 the instructions were also included in the PDF file of the return.  

2) the IRS just has not gotten around to it yet  or  your bank/CC has not posted it yet.

When will my tax payment go through?

(If you’re filing your taxes on May 17 and are having direct debit issues, go here.)

During non-peak times, funds are usually withdrawn on the payment date you specify, assuming your e-filed return has already been accepted (received) by the IRS.

If that date happens to fall on a weekend or federal holiday, the funds are typically withdrawn the next business day.

Now, if you filed right before (or on) the busy May 17, 2021deadline, the IRS may not be able to debit your payment until after the deadline, due to high e-filing volume. In addition, it can take your bank another few days to post the debit to your account.

No worries; as long as you filed your return or extension on or before May 17, 2021 and you selected May 17, 2021 (or earlier) as your payment date, you won't get penalized for late payment. 

In the meantime, keep an eye on your bank account — if you still don't see the debit  15- 30 days after your return has been accepted, call IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 or contact your state tax agency, as appropriate.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies