turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zach$1970

Why did turbo tax not provide my state efile with 1099 and w2 it held up my return and I had to fax this to my state at my own expense

how about getting me an answer
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
zach$1970

Why did turbo tax not provide my state efile with 1099 and w2 it held up my return and I had to fax this to my state at my own expense

will I get an answer this week?

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You got an answer yesterday at 2:51pm.

The data you entered from those documents was transmitted with your tax return if you entered it.  TurboTax does not have images of your actual documents.  If the IRS or state wanted to look at those, you are the one who has them--not TurboTax.  It is also possible that your employer did not send the copies to the state and the state wanted them to match up to what was entered on your return.  The IRS or state can always request copies of tax documents from you if they want to.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
zach$1970

So basicly Turbo tax is not helping me with this ,well that is just fine although you should know I will not be using Turbo tax next year or ever again.  Congratulations you just lost a customer.

This is an issue between you and the feds/state ... TT cannot assist you in this matter as they are not involved.  And this is the same for any DIY program you choose to use as well as paid tax preparers ... none of them can assist you in this matter ... all you have to do is provide the taxing authority with the forms they seek which you should have in your possession.  If you don't then you need to get them since TT doesn't have them even if you imported the information ... they only have the information not the actual paper forms. 

If you are inexperienced at filing tax returns and keeping your tax records, this experience will help you remember for next time to keep copies of all of your own tax documents yourself.  Notice that the back of your W-2 even tells you to keep it for at least three years.  The information you enter into the tax prep software is saved on the worksheets, but there are never images or copies of the documents like your W2 or 1099's.  The software company cannot get those for you.  It is your responsibility to keep copies of those documents for yourself.  Then if you are asked to provide them to a taxing authority, a lender, etc. you will have ready access to them.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies