turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why am I only received $250 tax refund advanced from Turbotax?

I used Turbotax because of "tax advanced loan" advertisement. According to Turbotax website and ad, if the customer receives tax refund more than $4000 and above, the advanced amount is $2000 but it's not TRUE. My refund is more than $4000 but I only received $250 after federal, state tax refund accepted. I was very upset while waiting tax refund accepted from IRS and tax advanced status from turbotax and tried to find customer service contact but they don't provide customer service. Only customer services machines answering the phone and provide the wrong answer. I AM VERY, VERY DISAPPOINTED. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

Kinda th same here. Was approved foa 1000 advance then i was emailed after fed acceptance by turbo card " even though you wasnt approvef, you should still receive your refund in 21 days"I. I spent rent money on other bills thinking i was getting that. Now cant see if im even getting it or not. 

This is my issue.. my refund is over 5 grand but says I should prequalify for 250 bucks but would receive email when IRS accepted my refund. Which all the requirements listed to qualify, I meet them. So, I stressed that maybe there was a offset on my refund to collect a debt. I called the offset number and there wasn't any. So my refund is not being reduced which I should qualify for 2000 advance refund. I would live to know why this is not the advance I am getting. Disappointing!!! D:

Yeah did me same why will never use turbo tax again

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

As stated here you could receive one of ten amounts. There is no guarantee based on the amount of your refund. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It was a 1000 then my tax return with uo to 6 grand only got 250 you guy should stop leading people on and stop the refund advance next year i wouldn't recommend turbo tax h &r block an jackson hewitt will never do that. Thanks for teaching me a lesson

Screenshot_20210214-191227.pngthere lie false advertising

L

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

The refund advance is not a guaranteed amount, it states here it is one of 10 amounts. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So it seems that turbotax will do anything to get customers. I guess they didn't learn anything from the class action lawsuit they lost a few years ago were they basically falsely claimed that using turbotax you could get your taxes done for free. However the system was set up so that it purposely took everyone to where you had no choice but to pay. And so here we are again they are trying to be slick by making people think they will receive an advance based off of how much money you get back on your taxes which is exactly how  H&R Block and Jackson & Hewitt does their advances but in the small print they tell you a bunch of BS but the truth is they let a bank run a credit report on each and everyone of us without our consent and that is why we are not getting the amount that we should be receiving based on the chart they have for us. It is all trickery to get customers and after you file they don't care because you already signed saying you will pay turbotax. 

Ok ... if you applied for the advance but did not READ the contract you signed then you have only yourself to blame.  The marketing pieces clearly say the MAXIMUM you could get which is not a guarantee. 

Refund Advance eligibility

Here are some of the eligibility requirements to qualify for a Refund Advance loan:

• You’re 18 or older
  • You’re not a resident of North Carolina, Connecticut, or Illinois
  • You’re e-filing your federal tax return with TurboTax
  • Your physical address is listed on your tax return. Your address must be located in one of the eligible states and can’t be a PO box or prison address
  • You’re not filing one of these tax forms: 1310, 4852, 4684, 4868, 1040SS, 1040PR, 1040X, 8888, or 8862
  • You aren’t filing on behalf of a deceased taxpayer
  • You must report income on a Form W-2, 1099-R , Sched C, or Sched CEZ

And just because you are pre approved for the advance doesn't mean you will get it.  Once you file the bank also pulls a credit report and anything else they need to determine if they will actually give you the advance ...

loan 2021 2.jpgloan 2021 3.jpgloan 2021 4.jpg

Read up on all the info for the loan here … pay attention to the details in the fine print …  https://turbotax.intuit.com/refund-advance/

Note the process is a bit different than in the past ... all payments will go  to the Karma bank account you are opening which you can access with a debit card.   This is no longer just a prepaid debit card  instead it is an actual virtual bank account like any other you can set up at a brick & mortar bank near you only there will be no checks issued on this account.  Seems to be the wave of the future ... no one is writing actual checks these days. Read the info below … note no min balance and no fees …

mhays1261
Returning Member

Its still considered false advertising and is illegal under the FTC's laws.  TT MUST provide that information upfront, which they are not doing.

I was told I was approved for a $250 advance through TT and would only be able to get it if I went through the Credit Karma application..only to find out I wasn't approved.  TT is doing this to push Credit Karma bank accounts on people.  That's insanely illegal

I should be approved for more 

ee-ea
Level 15

@Sierrahbryanne No one in the user forum can help you get a bigger advance.  You are subject to the rules for the advance loan.  They use a formula based on the amount of your refund and "other factors."

Your approved amount is based on the size of your federal refund and your tax information, along with other factors. You may not receive the maximum Refund Advance amount if one of these factors doesn’t meet the qualifying standards of the lender.

Refund Advance is available in amounts of $250, $500, $750, $1,000, $1,500, $2,000, $2,500, $3,000, $3,500, and $4,000.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

SameThing here, Exactly the same thing  Here!  false Advertisement and my refund was almost 7,000

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies