turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

apples#5

Who took money from my federal refund? Who with held the money? How can I get a copy of what it was paid towards?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

Who took money from my federal refund? Who with held the money? How can I get a copy of what it was paid towards?

If your refund is less than you expected, you may have had a "refund offset".  The IRS is authorized to withhold all or part of a federal refund for certain unpaid debts.  You should receive a letter of explanation a couple of weeks after you've received your refund.  See the TurboTax FAQ linked below for more information.

What is a refund offset? 

*Please click the thumbs-up icon if this response was helpful.
**Please click "Mark As Best Answer" if your question has been resolved. Thank you.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
apples#5

No, my question was not solved. The numbers that were given to me to call, no one answered. It was not an off set. How can I find out where the most of my federal income tax money go. What debt dod I have?

@apples#5 wrote:

No, my question was not solved. The numbers that were given to me to call, no one answered. It was not an off set. How can I find out where the most of my federal income tax money go. What debt dod I have?

IRS website for federal tax refunds FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

Why is my refund different than the amount on the tax return I filed?
All or part of your refund may have been used (offset) to pay off past-due federal tax, state income tax, state unemployment compensation debts, child support, spousal support, or other federal nontax debts, such as student loans. To find out if you may have an offset or if you have questions about an offset, contact the agency to which you owe the debt.

We also may have changed your refund amount because we made changes to your tax return. You’ll get a notice explaining the changesWhere’s My Refund? will reflect the reasons for the refund offset when it relates to a change in your tax return.

Tax Topic 203 - Refund Offsets for Unpaid Child Support, Certain Federal and State Debts, and Unempl... has more information about refund offsets.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies