turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kelly.montgomery
Returning Member

When will electronic filing be available for amended tax returns?

Saw that it will be available "sometime this summer" but would like to know when. We are trying to buy a house and can't move forward until our amended tax return is processed (it's been 9 weeks since we sent to IRS and isn't even in the system.)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The IRS has not announced when e-filing of amended tax returns will be available.

Only this new release is available - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-announces-form-1040-x-electronic-filing-options-coming-this-summer-...

debalkris
Returning Member

IRS started accepting electronic filing of 1040-X on August 17, 2020 but Turbo tax software has not been made available to file it electronically.  No idea when Turbo Tax will update to allow this.  I sent my amended return in in Mid April (16 weeks and counting) and still does not show as processed.  And this was just to change the fact that no one can claim me as a dependent.  IRS is sooooo backlogged its not funny.

@debalkris If you already mailed a 1040X, do not e-file another one even when e-filing for 1040X becomes available or it will just cause more confusion and delay.  TurboTax has not told us yet when e-filing for amended returns will be ready on this site.  Sorry, but you will simply have to wait for the IRS to process the amended return you mailed in.  It is taking longer than normal for them to process amended returns.  They are digging through 11 million pieces of mail that accumulated in trailers during the pandemic. Realistically, you should not count on getting your stimulus check this year if it is based on an amended return.  If you do not get it this year, you will be able to get it on your 2020 return when you file next year, provided you are not someone else's dependent for 2020.  If they somehow process your 1040X and send you a stimulus check this year, be pleasantly surprised.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Similar situation here. Sent my 1040X the first week of May, been 15 weeks now with no acknowledgement of receipt (https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return), and seems they completely disabled call-in contact. Can't tell if it's in their mail trailer or the USPS never delivered (shame on me no return receipt). Just got my first late notice. If they would simply acknowledge receipt that would help a lot, I am tempted to assume it's lost and efile a duplicate. If I could.......

Back to the original question - When will TurboTax upgrade TT Pro 2019 to include 1040X efile?

Yes, Turbotax will be updated. No, we don't know when.  And if you already filed on paper, you have to wait for that to be processed, there's no way to cancel it to e-file instead. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies