turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When the IRS recalculates my return due to Unemployment income my payment will turn into a refund. Should I still pay the original amount on 5/17?

I don't want to incur penalties for not paying the amount on the original return "on time" even though once the IRS recalculates to exclude the UI income that payment will be refunded.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

When the IRS recalculates my return due to Unemployment income my payment will turn into a refund. Should I still pay the original amount on 5/17?

It probably won't be difficult but it will involve much waiting and patience.   If you know that your net tax position will be due a refund, you don't need to make a payment.   Once they fully process the return, your transcript will be updated and they will either issue the refund or send you a notice requesting you to take some action.  

You can start an amendment and then cancel it if you want to see how the unemployment exclusion will affect your tax return.   If you do this, make sure you go through the stimulus questions too to ensure you are viewing your correct refund or tax due amount.     

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Employee Tax Expert

You should not pay in more than what you will owe once the unemployment income is excluded. Otherwise, it may be difficult to get the excess refunded. If you should get a penalty, you can explain what happened and it should be reversed.

Agreed ... if the change will get you a refund do NOT pay the current balance due.  

why would it be difficult to get the excess refunded?

What about people how already paid their "amount  you owe"?

are you saying they will have difficulty?

Nowhere does IRS say you do not pay the "amount you owe" by May 17th.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

It probably won't be difficult but it will involve much waiting and patience.   If you know that your net tax position will be due a refund, you don't need to make a payment.   Once they fully process the return, your transcript will be updated and they will either issue the refund or send you a notice requesting you to take some action.  

You can start an amendment and then cancel it if you want to see how the unemployment exclusion will affect your tax return.   If you do this, make sure you go through the stimulus questions too to ensure you are viewing your correct refund or tax due amount.     

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies