turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

spearsjm

When I add that I have received the first the stimulus check, it adds it to my refund again. Why??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

When I add that I have received the first the stimulus check, it adds it to my refund again. Why??

can you explain more 

how much was your 1st stimulus payment? 

What is your family situation on your 2020 tax return? (adults  at $1200 and children at $500)? 

look at line 30 of the tax return.  what is there? 

spearsjm

I cannot see line 30 as I have not paid yet. I(we) got $1200 first stim check and now $1200 second check. As I do my taxes the running totals for taxes owed and/or refunded change. As soon as I enter the $1200 my refund jumps $1200. Married filing joint. No dependents. 

first make sure you are only entering the 1st payment; TT is not yet set up to accommodate the 2nd payment

if you are married filing joint you were eligible for $2400 of stimulus but if you only received $1200, then yes, that would increase your refund. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies