turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

when can I file 2019 amended return if there is no knowledge if the my regular paper return is processed?

I mailed my 2019 paper return in early July 2020. Just check the IRS website, "View your Account", still indicating that my return has not been processed yet.  Since I have opted to apply refund to the 2020 estimated tax, there is no way to check "Get your Refund Status". 

My question is that I want to file 2019 amended return and I know I can file only after my regular return is processed. How can I find out if my 2019 return is processed? and if it is ok just to file the 2019 amended return? 

Please advise.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

when can I file 2019 amended return if there is no knowledge if the my regular paper return is processed?

You can use the IRS's new online transcript request option to tell when your return has been processed. Click here for help with accessing your transcript. Also you may also call the IRS customer service line at 1 800 829 1040 to speak to someone about the status of your return. Once you find out the status of your return you will be able to amend if needed. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

You can use the IRS's new online transcript request option to tell when your return has been processed. Click here for help with accessing your transcript. Also you may also call the IRS customer service line at 1 800 829 1040 to speak to someone about the status of your return. Once you find out the status of your return you will be able to amend if needed. 

Thanks. It worked. I checked the year 2019. And it says "We have no record of a process tax return". So, it appears that IRS has not processed my 2019 return (I paper filed in early July).

Should I still file my amended return for 2019?

Thanks

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should file an amended return. The IRS will not process the 1040X (amended return) until they process the original. The IRS has backlogged paper returns, so it is more than possible that the original is still waiting to be processed. 

It is always best to follow IRS procedures, so proceed as if the original was accepted 

My original return has an overpayment of $10,000 which I applied to 2020 estimated tax.

However, I realized that I forgot to report some interest income. I started the amended return, and found out that because the additional income, there is associated tax of $2,000.  1040-X Line 18 has $10,000 (overpayment shown on original return); and Line 20 has $2,000 (amount you owe). However, the revised 1040 Line 20 has $8,000 (amount you overpaid); and Line 22 shows $8,000 (amount applies to your 2020 estimated tax).

So, the 1040-x instruction says that I need to pay $2,000. However the revised 1040 now shows the reduced overpayment (from $10,000 to $8,000) and I don't need to pay IRS (this makes sense as the extra $2,000 tax is deducted from my overpayment).  

So, please help. Do I need to pay $2,000 as shown on Line 20 of 1040-x as Amount you owe?

Thank you so much

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

No, you do not need to pay $2,000 -- you can make the adjustment on the 1040X manually in Forms Mode.

1. Go into Forms Mode by clicking on the Forms icon in the top right of the blue bar.  In the Forms in My Return list on the left, click form 1040X to open it.
  2. On Form 1040X, make sure both line 21 (the amount overpaid on the amended return) and line23  (amount of line 21 you want applied to your 2020 return) show $8,000.  Be sure to fill in the year on line 23
  3. To return to the interview, click on the Step-By-Step icon in the top right of the blue bar.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies