turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

burnsa862

What if I did not add my second stimulus to taxes?

I do not recall it asking for 2021 stimulus only 2020. Was I supposed to add my second stimulus for 2021 on my 2020 taxes?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Yes, even though it physically arrived in 2021, it is considered the second 2020 stimulus payment. After the IRS opens on February 12, you can amend your return.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you have not already filed, return to the Recovery Rebate page and make your correction. You can access it through the Final Review tab. If you did file, see the steps for how to amend below.

First, make sure you really need to amend and that your 2020 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail. You can't amend a return that hasn't been filed yet.

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2020 and then Amend (change) return.
    • If you only see the option to amend 2019 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2020 return. Instead, just select Pick up where you left off, make your changes, and disregard the rest of these instructions.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. You can e-file your 2020 amended federal tax return, but most states require amendments to be printed and filed by mail.
  6. If e-filing, you’ll review, sign and transmit your federal return. If not, we'll give you instructions to print and mail your amended return.

Three weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool.  Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.

Related Information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies