turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Was I was wrongfully claimed as a dependent on 2019 taxes?

My mother claimed me as a dependent in 2019 taxes. I believe that I did not meet the guidelines. 

• I lived with her from August 2018 to August 2019
  • In 2019 I made a total amount of $11,500 from working full-time
  • I turned 19 on March 21st 2019
  • I enrolled in college in August of 2019 while working. 
  • I paid for my vehicle, insurance, food, clothes, transportation costs, and phone. 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you were a full time student from August to December, 2019 and lived with her for more than half the year, she could claim you unless you paid more than half your living cost for the entire year. How much income you had doesn't matter. 

Here is a worksheet for determining whether or not you provide more than half your own support. You must include the value of living with your mother for 7 months.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf  The worksheet is on p. 15 of this pub.

Here are the complete requirements from your mother's viewpoint as to whether she could claim you or not:
1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster chld, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student, or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled. The child was a full time student if the child was full time for at least 1 day of 5 different months during the year. 
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) unless disabled.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you were a full time student from August to December, 2019 and lived with her for more than half the year, she could claim you unless you paid more than half your living cost for the entire year. How much income you had doesn't matter. 

Here is a worksheet for determining whether or not you provide more than half your own support. You must include the value of living with your mother for 7 months.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf  The worksheet is on p. 15 of this pub.

Here are the complete requirements from your mother's viewpoint as to whether she could claim you or not:
1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster chld, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student, or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled. The child was a full time student if the child was full time for at least 1 day of 5 different months during the year. 
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you (or your spouse, if filing jointly) unless disabled.

Thank you. 

Would this mean I am not eligible for the 2020 stimulus relief due to the Coronavirus epidemic? 

If you were claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return, you are not eligible for the stimulus payment. Unfortunately neither is the person who claimed you since you are over the age of 16. The person who claimed you probably got a $500 dependent credit on their tax return. 

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies