turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband died before we could amend our 2015 taxes. How do I sign for his name?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

My husband died before we could amend our 2015 taxes. How do I sign for his name?

Very sorry for your loss. 

The return is filed on the same form that would have been used if the taxpayer were still alive, but "deceased" is written after the taxpayer's name. 

If a joint return or amendment is filed by the surviving spouse alone, he or she should sign the return and write "filing as surviving spouse" in the space for the other spouse's signature.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelDC

Very sorry for your loss. 

The return is filed on the same form that would have been used if the taxpayer were still alive, but "deceased" is written after the taxpayer's name. 

If a joint return or amendment is filed by the surviving spouse alone, he or she should sign the return and write "filing as surviving spouse" in the space for the other spouse's signature.

Thank you for your help.
MichaelDC

My pleasure.
Bingen

I am doing taxes for my mother-in-law. Her husband died last Feb. When I finished with the taxes, in his signature block is states that she is filling as a surviving spouse. But when I send it in to the IRS, it is rejected saying that the AGI of her husband (looking to verify his ID for e-mailing) does not match his name. I have sent it in with last years AGI like Turbotax put in and also with the AGI before last years adjustment that had to be done. They are both rejected. What do I do? My father-in-law is dead yet they are trying to ID him for a signature.

Bob

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Bingen While a paper return is not required the year after a spouse dies, it usually turns out that way.  Either the IRS doesn't recognize the AGI from the previous year, or Social Security Administration freezes the deceased person's social security number. You will unfortunately have to print and mail in the return.

"Irene2805 Employee Tax Expert"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bingen

Thank You for your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies