Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unemployment tax refund amount

Several months ago I was able to log into my TurboTax account and view the updated tax refund coming from the CARES Act. However, since then I have forgotten how to view it and don't know if it was a one time viewing or something else. How can I view my updated tax refund amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When the program was updated for the unemployment exclusion and you logged in you may have seen  the updated return   however  they quickly reversed this for those who had filed before the change so the return once again shows as originally filed so that next year the correct AGI from the original return would be transferred properly thus avoiding IRS rejects for the AGI being incorrect.  

If you promise to save a PDF & .taxfile  of the originally filed return so you have that information  you can log in and scroll down and click on ADD A STATE to open the return then complete the unemployment section again so it updates.  HOWEVER if anything else changes (like credits you did not have on the original return) then you may need to amend the return.  Column A of the amended return must reflect the IRS changes and you cannot file this until the IRS has processed your original return and the correction which are sent separately ... do not jump the gun... wait for both checks.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

When the program was updated for the unemployment exclusion and you logged in you may have seen  the updated return   however  they quickly reversed this for those who had filed before the change so the return once again shows as originally filed so that next year the correct AGI from the original return would be transferred properly thus avoiding IRS rejects for the AGI being incorrect.  

If you promise to save a PDF & .taxfile  of the originally filed return so you have that information  you can log in and scroll down and click on ADD A STATE to open the return then complete the unemployment section again so it updates.  HOWEVER if anything else changes (like credits you did not have on the original return) then you may need to amend the return.  Column A of the amended return must reflect the IRS changes and you cannot file this until the IRS has processed your original return and the correction which are sent separately ... do not jump the gun... wait for both checks.

Thanks, that was what I was looking for. Still playing the waiting game for now...

Can someone explain this, tell me how to find out how much and when we will receive or money?

Screenshot_20210809-091901_Word.jpg

I cannot find refund amount please help me!!

Stimulus #1  & stimulus #2

and then the first refund check including interest for the delay in processing  (compare this with your tax return) followed by the second refund amount including interest for the delay in processing which should represent the adjustments to your return for the unemployment exclusion and/or PTC  plus adjustments to the credits already claimed on the original return.   

Based on the dates for the refunds  you should have gotten them months ago unless the refunds were intercepted for a debt like back taxes or child support.  

1.png 

EML3

I still have not gotten my unemployment tax refund. I had a very simple return and don’t owe IRS any money. I can’t contact IRS by phone since they don’t answer. What should I do?

@EML3

So far the IRS has issued over 8 million of those “extra” refunds for tax on unemployment.   The IRS has not announced when the next batch will be sent out, but they are still working on them.

The IRS is recalculating refunds for people whose AGI is $150K or below and who filed before the tax law that changed the amount of unemployment that is taxable on a federal return became effective.   

The IRS began to send out the additional refund checks for tax withheld from unemployment in May.  The refunds are being sent out in batches—starting with the simplest returns first.   If you are eligible for the extra refund for federal tax that was withheld from your unemployment the IRS will be sending you an additional refund sometime during the next several months.  TurboTax cannot track or predict when it will be sent.  The IRS has not provided a way for you to track it, so all you can do is wait for the refund to arrive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-get-the-new-unemployment-benefits-if-i-ve...

Please read this news from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-continues-unemployment-compensation-adjustments-prepares-another-1-...

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/taxes/more-unemployment-tax-refunds-are-arriving-but-when-here...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies