turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rodria02

Turbotax populated a wrong bank account

My bank account in USAA Federal Savings Bank in was on file in Turbotax for years. For the 2020 return it automatically populated a different account from a different bank (JP Morgan in Missouri) and I didn't notice before filing. I have not received my returns , federal or NY state, and they were accepted in February 2021. I have no idea where is my money or who holds that account in JP Morgan. Does the IRS check the name on the bank account before sending the refund? WHY DID TURBOTAX CHANGED MY ROUTING AND ACCOUNT NUMBERS without any notification? This looks like a scam.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@ rodria02 wrote:

My bank account in USAA Federal Savings Bank in was on file in Turbotax for years. For the 2020 return it automatically populated a different account from a different bank (JP Morgan in Missouri) and I didn't notice before filing. I have not received my returns , federal or NY state, and they were accepted in February 2021. I have no idea where is my money or who holds that account in JP Morgan. Does the IRS check the name on the bank account before sending the refund? WHY DID TURBOTAX CHANGED MY ROUTING AND ACCOUNT NUMBERS without any notification? This looks like a scam.

Do you happen to have mutual fund accounts or brokerage account that uses JP Morgan bank as the underlying bank for the cash part of your brokerage account, "sweep" account, money market fund, etc.?    (You can check with your brokerage firm to see what underlying bank they use to receive cash direct deposits.)

In some situations we've seen some filers occasionally get refunds in accounts they didn't recognize that turned out to be their brokerage accounts.   For some, the account info had possibly been imported into TurboTax along with their 1099 info.

@rodria02  also wrote:  "I have not received my returns , federal or NY state, and they were accepted in February 2021."

Maybe they are sitting in a brokerage account as explained above, or perhaps they haven't yet finished processing.  There have been very long delays, especially at the IRS with the Federal returns.    Here's where you can see if the IRS has finished processing your Federal return and released your refund:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

As for the New York return:

FAQ:  How do I track my New York tax refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/how-do-i-track-my-new-york-tax-refund/00/26586

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies