Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbo Tax is a pretty terrible company?

Is it just my ignorant behind who has realized Turbotax is a very thinly veiled middle man swindling low income Americans? Hit me back and let me know if and why you agree!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

You are dead wrong ...  Intuit is a company that produces DIY income tax programs that taxpayers use to complete income tax returns ... nothing more.   The Turbotax program has no control over what the IRS does once you file a return.   And if you choose to use a third party processing bank to have the fees withheld from your federal refund then the refund/stimulus check will or can be delivered thru that processing bank ... again the TT program has no control in this matter.  

So what exactly seems to be your trouble that you are demanding answers for ?  

If your stimulus payment was sent to Santa Barbara Bank and they declined the direct deposit so the IRS will issue a paper check and mail it to you at the address on your tax return.

Here is what the IRS says will happen in this situation:

To help protect against potential fraud, the tool also does not allow people to change direct deposit bank account information already on file with the IRS.

If we issue a direct deposit and the bank information is invalid or the bank account has been closed, the bank will reject the deposit. We will then mail your payment as soon as possible to the address we have on file for you. Get My Payment will be updated to reflect the date your payment will be mailed. Typically, once the payment is mailed, it will take up to 14 days to receive the payment, standard mailing time.

This statement if from the IRS Q&A: https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

I agree I fill if I filed through some other way to efile I would have received my refund by now but I went with TurboTax I filed January 29th and it was excepted by the irs Same day but it's May 5th and still says it's being processed I have a filling that turbo tax is the reason because I don't remember last time I used them that I was never asked about the erned income tax credit or what ever and I honestly wasn't sure what to click or what it meant and I tried to understand it and I think I qualified for it but I think if I would have went with someone else on filing I couldn't have had a hard time with it and I would have received my refund but still I filed January 29th and it's May 5th and I need that money really bad right now it's ridiculous when I used turbo tax the first time I received my refund with in the next few weeks so yeah I agree

First the TT program is interview based with help links all the way thru it so if you didn't understand something you should stop and read the info  or  use the help button like you are doing now.

Next, the EIC is calculated automatically if you qualify for it  and that section is part of the deductions & credits tab that is part of the interview path.

Now ... did you efile successfully ?  Log in and check the filing status ... does it say accepted ? If it was ACCEPTED for  PROCESSING ... 

**********************************************************************************************
**NOTE*** Due to the Corona virus the IRS is operating short staffed. All field offices are closed and some processing centers are all but closed. Any tax return that requires hand processing will probably have long delays. Mailed returns are not being processed at all at this time. Most phone service has been curtailed.
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue
**********************************************************************************************

TurboTax only gives the general IRS (most returns are processed within 21 days) date. The actual date is known only by the IRS. TurboTax also does not adjust the general date for anything on the tax return. TurboTax receives no feedback from the IRS after filing.

The IRS says most refunds will be issued within 21 days - some faster, some longer.

Each tax return is evaluated on it's own merits. There is no first-in-first-out. Two similar tax return submitted at the same time can have totally different processing times based on IRS criteria for examining tax returns that the IRS does not divulge.

Some returns will be held for ID verification or other verification. The IRS will send a letter if they require more information to process your tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing

Check your refund status here:
https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Check your state refund here:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

I completely agree that Turbo Tax is a rip off.

1. They’re charging an additional 40.00 in the event that you receive a federal refund and use it to apply toward tax preparation fees, should a potential federal refund even be received.

I have no federal refund, therefore the 40.00 fee for using this as a payment option should be removed. I Can’t remove the fee for a service that I am not even utilizing.

2. Unable to talk to a “live tax professional,” although they boast this feature constantly . Unless you want pay even more money, you’re on your own. 
3. Critter:

Agreed, there’s usually a middleman/3rd party with most transactions, however I would prefer a real live person versus a computer generated response when completing such an important requirement.
4.Turbo Tax helped me realize the value of people. Real people. Thanks, Turbo Tax!! More important is the fact that Turbo tax sends feedback that says everything looks great!!

What really looks great?  Them getting your money, Hence, of course “everything looks great”!

Sub par service from a company that sells your information, is misleading, expensive, and most likely inaccurate.

The thing is, Intuit stock just keeps climbing.

That's really all the CEO and the shareholders care about.

really well I efiled and it was excepted March 25, I still haven't received my refund . The status doesn't say anything but we are experiencing high value be patient and that's unfortunate. Today Turbo tax Emails me telling me that they were supposed to get paid out of my refund but since I haven't received a refund they plan on taking it out of my bank account using the information that I gave them for my direct deposit for my refund. Well that's shady as hell. I lost my job,  my health insurance due to this pandemic . Someone filed for my unemployment 2 week before I got laid off so then it took me 4 months of sitting on the phone for hours to get no where. I didn't get the 1st or second stimulus .I'm did get the tax credit for the but I haven't received my refund yet. I also live in Oklahoma so they are ending our benefits early and I haven't been offered a job even close to what I was making before. And Turbo tax wants to take 160.00 from me out of my account with the information I used for my direct deposit when filing. There's no money in there to take. I would love for you to get your money. But I'm not one of the people who increased their wealth during the pandemic. I'm one of the people who got screwed at every turn and has lost everything so do what you got to to do Turbo tax but there is no money to take.

who ever critter is I wasn't demanding anything and if you work for Turbo tax do they allow you to speak to people that way

This is just a public user to user forum.  We are just other users. Where is Critter responding to you?  The posts before yours are over 1 year ago.  Not this year.

Sounds like the IRS is taking too long to send your refund or reduced it. See What if the IRS reduces your refund or delays it.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/payments/help/what-if-my-federal-refund-isn-t-enough-to-cover-my-t...

Then when the IRS does send your refund they won't take the fees out again.

And, Why you got charged,
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

You should have received about 4 emails asking for the fees. If you don't pay they will debit your account. You had to agree to it.

neal9
Returning Member

To be honest, you are correct that they are a terrible company. They have cornered a market segment that is poorly served by other companies and use that monopoly to produce products (TurboTax & QuickBooks) that are outright terrible. They outsource customer service to forums like this. Complaints and bug reports to the company are ignored while the addition of up fees and in-product advertising are given high priority. I really wish that another company would enter the market and run them out of business. 

smosher53

very much so

Antonsouk

I agree, I was about to do my taxes with them this year and they want to charge 149.99!!!! I loved turbo tax because of the convenience, but 149.99 is just ridiculous.  I went onto the IRS website and just did the taxes for free instead, it took an extra hour to do them , but I saved 150$

A-man-duh

Agreed! And they treat their employees like **bleep** too! 

I know someone who works at their call center who was fired because she left notes after each call. They said it was TIME THEFT. Get this... She wanted there to be actual records of what happened on the call so in case the person called back the next person could help them better and they fired her! 

They don't care about customer service. They don't care about the people who work for them... They don't care! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies