Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ismailtalib
Returning Member

There's a problem with the system. whenever i try to apply for an amended return. turbotax website tells me to attach/send back money i never received. I'm stuck .

There's a problem with the system. whenever i try to apply for an amended return. turbotax website tells me to attach/send back money i never received. I'm stuck .
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

The IRS says to wait until you receive the refund from your original return before you complete and mail the amended return. If the IRS makes a change to your original return and sends more or less refund than shown on your original tax return, the amended return will be correct if you wait. 

The IRS expects you to send any payment due shown on your amended return with the return when you mail it to avoid penalty and interest.

ismailtalib
Returning Member

thanks for the reply Texas roger,

The refund in the original return was supposed to be $798.

I did not mail in the amended tax return because i wanted to first wait for the $798 check , and then attach the supposed $766 I owe . 

However, I only received a $32 refund check not $798 .  so it must be like you mentioned that irs made changes and sent less refund. which is fine .

Now, When I try to actually fix/correct the mistake in the return file,  Whenever I try to print another 1040x  amended file from turbotax using their amended tax application/system . it says to attach a $798 check and says in the file that i owe $766.

It's as if turbotax's system doesn't know/see that I only received $32 , even though it's clearly shown in the 2019 tax return downloaded from their system/website.

and also clearly says that in my turbotax page that "$32 federal efile accepted"

I don't get it.

You probably don't need to amend your return at all since the IRS caught the mistake. Here is what they say about when to amend and return and when not to:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc308

If you discover an error after filing your return, you may need to amend your return. The IRS may correct mathematical or clerical errors on a return and may accept returns without certain required forms or schedules. In these instances, there's no need to amend your return. However, do file an amended return if there's a change in your filing status, income, deductions, or credits. Use Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return (PDF) to correct a previously filed Form 1040 (PDF), Form 1040A (PDF), Form 1040EZ (PDF), Form 1040-NR (PDF), Form 1040-NR-EZ (PDF), or to change amounts previously adjusted by the IRS. You can also use Form 1040-X to make a claim for a carryback due to a loss or unused credit; however, you may also be able to use Form 1045, Application for Tentative Refund (PDF) instead of Form 1040-X. Also, if the Form 8938, Statement of Specified Foreign Financial Assets (PDF) applies to you, file it with an annual return or an amended return. See the Instructions for Form 8938 (PDF) for more information.

If you decide you need to amend your return, make sure you start your amended return from the original return as it was filed. After starting the amended return, make sure you enter the correct refund as received from the IRS after they adjusted your refund. 

ismailtalib
Returning Member

alright , thx again

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies