Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The software will not let me delete form 8949? My return is incorrect with the form included. What do I need to do to delete this form?

I cannot delete for 8949 form my tax return. The return is not correct with it. How do I delete this form? From my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MelissaZ

The software will not let me delete form 8949? My return is incorrect with the form included. What do I need to do to delete this form?

You can delete forms by clicking on My Account at the top of the page, then select Tools followed by Delete a form. Scroll through the list of forms and find the one you want to delete. If you have done this and its noting working for you then try signing out and clearing your cache and cookies and sign back in and try again.

cwolf2116

You may find it necessary to delete some 1099-B worksheets or Capital Gains worksheets which feed the 8949 form and subsequently the Schedule D form.  Don’t be fooled by leaving a 1099-B worksheet or Capital Gains worksheet in the return which appears to be totally unrelated to the 8949 form you are trying to delete.  Save your return to a new file name and then start removing the worksheets until you hit upon the worksheet that is recreating the 8949 form you are trying to delete.  Once you have identified the worksheet recreating the 8949, you can selectively delete it from your old return file name and recreate anything else needed.  Hope this helps.
chromex

Using Home and business 2018 on a mac. Need to delete a duplicate form 8849. When I follow the above, I et a box that asks whether I an sure I want to delete and says the data connot be reconverted, I have no idea what reconverted means and cannot find a mmeaning for it anywhere. However since it is a duplicate transaction with an incorrect basis I do not care if the duplicate data "cannot be reconverted". So I say yes I am sure . The form then deletes for 1 second and magically reapppears. This return is for a client, it is late as heck and has over 400 transactions. There are going to be errors in entering the intial data and duplicate forms will be generated. We need to edit in a less cumbersome way. Please advise

@chromex wrote:

This return is for a client,...

A "client"   TurboTax is not authorized or licensed for use by a paid preparer.   Paid preparers are required to use a professional software package - not do-it-yourself software.

Form 8949 is created automatically from the schedule D entries.  Schedule D probably need to be deleted first to delete the 8949 form or it will just reappear.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies