turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why didn't my state taxes get paid when I received my federal taxes TurboTax took there money and didn't pay my state .

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why didn't my state taxes get paid when I received my federal taxes TurboTax took there money and didn't pay my state .

The federal refund cannot be used to pay your state tax due. You would have to either set up a direct debit to pay your state taxes or contact your state directly and pay them via phone, online or mail them payment. See below for why your federal refund can't be used to pay your state taxes. 

If you need to pay your state tax due, you can go here How do I contact my state Department of Revenue? and choose your state and see what payment options they offer online, via phone or mail them payment. 

Can I pay my state taxes from my federal refund?

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The federal refund cannot be used to pay your state tax due. You would have to either set up a direct debit to pay your state taxes or contact your state directly and pay them via phone, online or mail them payment. See below for why your federal refund can't be used to pay your state taxes. 

If you need to pay your state tax due, you can go here How do I contact my state Department of Revenue? and choose your state and see what payment options they offer online, via phone or mail them payment. 

Can I pay my state taxes from my federal refund?
Abyss2503

Why Turbotax took the money from my federal refund if they can't pay the state. Where is that money?

@Abyss2503 wrote:

Why Turbotax took the money from my federal refund if they can't pay the state. Where is that money?

If you requested to have the TurboTax account fees paid from your tax refund and the refund is delayed by the IRS, TurboTax would have sent you several emails on how to pay the taxes owed.  Without a response the account fees were debits from your bank account.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for paying the account fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-was-my-bank-account-auto-debited-for-tur...

@Abyss2503   How do you know it was Turbo Tax?  Maybe the IRS reduced your refund.  How much is missing?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies