turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

.tax2020 file - lost forever after HD crash?

Hello --

I've read this article on the forum.  

I've filed my 2020 return with the desktop download version of the software.

I efiled the returns and saved the PDF files with a backup.

The .tax2020 file was saved on my C drive, which crashed, without backup.

Based on this article, it looks like I am out of luck to recover this file from anywhere, but wanted to please confirm with anyone on this forum, before I pay for a data recovery service.

Kindly let me know and thank you all!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You are correct. When you use the CD/Download TurboTax software, the only copy of your .tax2020 file is on your hard drive, and any backup copies that you make. TurboTax does not have a copy of it.

Here are two alternatives to paying for a data recovery service.

1.  Install the TurboTax software on a new computer and recreate your tax return by hand. You would have to make sure that it exactly matches the tax return that you filed. You have the PDF of the filed return to compare to. The recreated file would not contain the confirmation that the return was e-filed, but if you created the PDF after you e-filed, it should contain the "Electronic Postmark" page at the end of the federal return.

2.  Forget about the .tax2020 file. You only need it if you have to amend your 2020 tax return, or to transfer information when you start your 2021 tax return. You can enter your information manually in your 2021 tax return, the same as you would if you were using TurboTax for the first time.

It seems a shame to pay for a data recovery service for just one file, if you can get along without it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You are correct. When you use the CD/Download TurboTax software, the only copy of your .tax2020 file is on your hard drive, and any backup copies that you make. TurboTax does not have a copy of it.

Here are two alternatives to paying for a data recovery service.

1.  Install the TurboTax software on a new computer and recreate your tax return by hand. You would have to make sure that it exactly matches the tax return that you filed. You have the PDF of the filed return to compare to. The recreated file would not contain the confirmation that the return was e-filed, but if you created the PDF after you e-filed, it should contain the "Electronic Postmark" page at the end of the federal return.

2.  Forget about the .tax2020 file. You only need it if you have to amend your 2020 tax return, or to transfer information when you start your 2021 tax return. You can enter your information manually in your 2021 tax return, the same as you would if you were using TurboTax for the first time.

It seems a shame to pay for a data recovery service for just one file, if you can get along without it.

Thank you for confirming my assessment -- totally appreciate it.

I have actually considered those two alternatives already.

The main reason to do the data recovery is so I don't need to re-do the depreciation schedules of my rental properties.

Jury is still out if I pay for data recovery -- I got time until Apr '2022 🙂

THANK YOU AGAIN!

ALWAYS save a back up onto a removable storage medium and do so often. 

How do you do a backup?   Did you check your backups for the  .tax2020 file?   If you backed up the pdf it could have got the tax file too.  It should be in the same folder as the pdf file.

If you try to recover the hard drive the data files end in .tax2020, .tax2019, .tax2018 etc.   They should be your Documents then in a Turbo Tax folder.   

If you don't find the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like  "~your name.tax2020".  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

ColinFL

My .tax2020 & .tax2021files were lost after a TT update. Below is the email I wanted to send to TT if they had one. Posted here in case it may be of help.

2/9/22

Elijah and later Josephine,

I am thankful for your efforts. 
Unfortunately you could not resolve my issue and my files remained lost.
I am very unhappy that TurboTax somehow caused the loss of my files! 
It cost me many hours of anguish.
Goggle searches suggest I am not alone having this lost file issue.
I eventually/thankfully recovered my deleted tax2020 file from an old deleted back up file on my external drive using Disk Drill app. It was my last ditch attempt that fortunately worked.
I have used TT for many, many years and this is the first but very significant confidence rattling issue.
I hope it is the last!
Colin 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies