turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

acde9764
Returning Member

Stimulus check registration question

I just submitted my stimulus registration through turbotax website using "If you don’t need to file your taxes this year” option, not “If you haven’t filed your taxes yet this year" option because I am not required to file a tax for a year 2019  (I don’t meet minimum requirement to file a tax), and I wanted to just register for stimulus check. However, when I was filling in the information, it didn’t really ask me for any income information (W-2) or any loan and scholarship (1098 -T) related to my school (since I am full time student at UGA) , so I thought it was weird, and it only asked me for 2018’s adjusted gross income, so I put that number then submitted the form. However, after the submission, under my “Tax home” page, I see this message "your 2019 federal return was accepted!”, and I was just worried that my file was returned even though I don’t meet the requirement. Also, when I reviewed my pdf version of return, I think some wrong information were put including my wrong “$1 interest income” and “$1 adjusted gross income” that I don’t even know where they came from. I have my own w-2 and 1098-T form, so I am able to provide these information, but this registration process didn’t even ask me for them and just put wrong information. So I was just worried about it. It’s just stimulus registration for users that do not have to file tax for 2019 right? Would I have to take further action? Also, would I have to click on amend return option to fix my information?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

Yes for stimulus, yes a real return, no further action, yes amend if need to file.

Since you are not required to file a tax return, a return of $1 interest was created just so you could be registered in the system. Yes, it is an actual return. If you needed to file a real return, you would need to amend this return. However, since your W2 and 1098-T are not required, in your words, then you do not need to do anything. The IRS is aware that $1 returns are just for the stimulus. They are real returns, only no tax involved.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
acde9764
Returning Member

Hi,

so I am kind of confused with your wording. So does that mean my federal tax was returned just by registering a stimulus? Because the intention of  stimulus registration was just to register for stimulus check. If it means my file was returned, then would it mean anything would change in effect? Also, Does that mean I should amend this return since I have some income and scholarship information(loan)? So basically I am claimed as dependent under my parents when they reported their return for 2019 few months ago. Should I amend a return to receive stimulus check or should I just not do anything about it?

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

If you don't need to file, don't file. The return that was transmitted was so that the IRS has your banking information. 

If your parents claim you, you should not have used the non-filer registration and you are not eligible for a stimulus check. 

Elianette  i filed my taxes on 02/15/2020 and i haven resive my refun and want to know were is my refun place call me [phone number removed]. Thank you 

RobertG
Expert Alumni

The Internal Revenue Service has already started depositing the economic impact payments into people's bank accounts. But not everyone has received a payment yet. The IRS said it's trying to get payments to people as quickly as possible.

If you want to find out when your payment is coming, there will soon be an online tool to track it. On April 17, the IRS plans to launch an online tool called Get My Payment. It will let you to check the status of your payment and find out when it will be deposited into your bank account or mailed to you.

The easiest way to know whether your payment has arrived is to check your bank account.

@elainetteperaza

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies