turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus check and refund being held up because IRS says I received a 1095-A and I never had one ISSUED.

I filed my 2019 tax return, but received a letter saying I need to file a 8962 form because I was issued a 1095-A.  I checked with Healthcare.gov and was told I was never issued one and so they do not understand why IRS would request one. Any ideas on how to fix this mess? I am waiting on the $1200 stimulus and my tax refund...it would help me out right now.  Thanks everyone. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

Stimulus check and refund being held up because IRS says I received a 1095-A and I never had one ISSUED.

If you did not file a 2018 return, or your 2018 filing status made you ineligible for the stimulus, then the 2019 return is what the IRS is using to calculate your stimulus eligibility. It is highly likely that you will not receive the stimulus until the issue with 2019 is settled. 

If you don't receive the stimulus payment in 2020, you can always receive it as a credit on your 2020 return in 2021. The stimulus is actually an ADVANCE on a credit on your 2020 return. 

@mmclark65

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

This should not affect your stimulus. That is processed separate from your refund. Did you purchase insurance from the marketplace? If so, they are required to issue a 1095-A. They cannot tell you that you were not issued the form.

Only the 1095-A needs to be entered on your return from insurance purchased through the marketplace. If you received a different 1095 form, such as one from employer benefits, you do not need to enter anything on your return. It is for your records only.

If you purchased insurance through the marketplace and received a 1095-A, that must still be reported on your return.This will calculate the Net Premium Tax Credit on Form 8962. This form reconciles the amount of the credit available to you with the amount already received as an Advance Premium Tax Credit. The result could be additional credit owed to you, or you may have to repay any amount already received in advance. Because of either of these results, it is important for taxpayers to include the information from Form 1095-A on their return.

Follow these steps:

• Click on Deductions & Credits under Federal
  • Under the menu for Medical, click Start/Revisit next to Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A)
  • Answer Yes indicating that you have the form to enter
  • Complete the information on the next screen to match your form and click continue

Thank you very much for the response.  I was covered under my parents Marketplace plan for 2 months in 2019 before acquiring my own and removed from theirs.  I was listed on my parents marketplace plan as a covered individual and never issued a 1095-A myself. I called Healthcare.gov with my parents and was told that I was never issued one, only my parents.  Any ideas on how to straighten this mess out with IRS? 

Hello again, This is the message I receive when I check my stimulus status; Payment Status Not Available 

The Get My Payment application will return "Payment Status Not Available" for several reasons, including:

• You are required to file a tax return, but:
    • We haven't finished processing your 2019 return

Seems like the two are connected.  Once the 2019 is settled/accepted then the stimulus would be released also? 

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

If you did not file a 2018 return, or your 2018 filing status made you ineligible for the stimulus, then the 2019 return is what the IRS is using to calculate your stimulus eligibility. It is highly likely that you will not receive the stimulus until the issue with 2019 is settled. 

If you don't receive the stimulus payment in 2020, you can always receive it as a credit on your 2020 return in 2021. The stimulus is actually an ADVANCE on a credit on your 2020 return. 

@mmclark65

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies