turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tobysabol

Spouse and I need to amend return to change filing status

My spouse and I filed out 2020 taxes as married filing separate for student loan purposes. Shortly after filing our separate returns, we learned that we did no need to file separate. We would like to amend both of our returns to file jointly. Is this possible to do?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Good news YES!   And you only have to amend 1 of them.

How to amend separate returns (or HOH) to Joint

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899507-how-do-i-amend-a-separate-return-to-married-filing-jointly

tobysabol

Thanks so much for the super fast reply! Just so I am sure I am doing this correctly, my spouse and I filed married but separate through H&R Block. We both received small returns. When I go through the amend return wizard, I get a 1040-X which has both of our names on it, and then a new 1040, which is set up as married filing jointly. 

What happens to the small refunds we already received? I assume I mail these new forms in and then both of our individual returns are amended?

Thanks again for your help and information.

Are you using HR Block to Amend?  You have to amend starting with the original return so you should go back to HR Block.  You can use Turbo Tax but it would be tricky and cost more.  

tobysabol

H&R Block messed up our returns. They were filed so late because they “forgot” to send our returns in. When I asked them to amend the return, they said it was too much work and then they filed the return immediately after that, even though I told them I wanted to amend the return. We’re talking about great than 10k difference in return. So that’s where we are at. Does it cost money to file an amendment? H&R Block has been awful throughout this whole experience and We’ve already paid for 2 tax returns from them…

To amend a return you did somewhere else you would have to buy the Desktop program and fill out the original return exactly as it was filed. You can use the Forms Mode. Then when it matches each line that you really filed you have to tell Turbo Tax you will mail it so it thinks it was filed. Then you can amend it.

Buy the prior year Desktop program here. You need a full Windows or Mac computer to install it on.
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products

tobysabol

I do already own the desktop version of TurboTax Deluxe 2020. Is there a way to import the H&R Block returns into TurboTax? That might make things a little easier. Regardless, do I need to amend both of our returns, or will just one do the trick?

No you can't open your Block return in Turbo Tax.   You can only transfer it into next year's Turbo Tax.   Still use that link I posted above.   It says you only need to amend one return.   Then you add the other person to it.   So start with the return who you want to be listed first as the primary taxpayer.   Or start with the return that has more items or complicated items on it so you don't have to enter a lot.

amend the return you want to be listed first as "Taxpayer" going forward.

Colum C will have the amounts from your joint tax return.

Combine your two refunds into line 18.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies