turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Someone claimed me as a dependent

Will i get a stimulus check after i suffered from tax fraud? Someone claimed me as a dependent but I filed my taxes by mail. I dont know if they recieved my papers because I am unable to call the irs.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

No, if you were claimed as a dependent you will not receive an Economic Impact Payment. 

If you were not actually a dependent of another person, the best way to resolve the issue is to file your return indicating that you are not a dependent and also not eligible to be a dependent.  If the other return was electronically filed before you had a chance to file, you will need to do this with a paper return by mail. 

The IRS will process your return and later in the filing season will send letters to all taxpayers who have listed the individual and social security number on a return.  Each taxpayer will be required to show why his or her return is correct.  The IRS will determine if the taxpayer is a dependent or not and correct the return that was not properly filed.  The corrected return may incur additional tax, interest, and penalties. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

No, if you were claimed as a dependent you will not receive an Economic Impact Payment. 

If you were not actually a dependent of another person, the best way to resolve the issue is to file your return indicating that you are not a dependent and also not eligible to be a dependent.  If the other return was electronically filed before you had a chance to file, you will need to do this with a paper return by mail. 

The IRS will process your return and later in the filing season will send letters to all taxpayers who have listed the individual and social security number on a return.  Each taxpayer will be required to show why his or her return is correct.  The IRS will determine if the taxpayer is a dependent or not and correct the return that was not properly filed.  The corrected return may incur additional tax, interest, and penalties. 

Jimbean3

Someone claimed me as a dependent so i can file my own taxes

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

If someone claimed you as their dependent, you will still file your own return if you have income. 

Be sure to select "Someone else can claim me" and "Someone else will claim me".

If you are a dependent, you are not eligible for a stimulus payment, but you may get a credit on your 2020 tax return if you file as a non-dependent for tax year 2020. 

I cannot file my return cuz I don't have income. So can I still get my EIP

@eduardodeguzmanjr17 wrote:

I cannot file my return cuz I don't have income. So can I still get my EIP

IRS website for non-filer stimulus payments - https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/non-filers-enter-payment-info-here

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies