Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Some claimed me for my taxes the last 3 years help me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do you mean "someone" claimed you?   Who is "someone"?   How are they related to you?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) are you sure you can't be claimed as a dependent on another person's return like a parent

another person can claim you if you meet  these 5 test are met for qualifying child
1) related to you
2) you're under 19 at end of year and younger than you or spouse if MFJ
or
under 24 at end of year and a full time student (enrolled in a qualifying school during any part of 5 calendar months in the year and younger than you or spouse if MFJ
3) you have the same principal residence as taxpayer for more than 1/2 the year (temporary absences like away at school are ignored
4) you did not provide over 1/2 their support
5) you didn't file a joint return, exception if filed joint return to get taxes paid in when there was no tax liability
now lets say all 5 tests aren't met then you have to check to see if you are a qualifying relative by meeting these 3 tests ( relative is a misnomer)

1) member of household - lived in your household all year except for temporary absences or be related
2) your gross income under $4,150 for 2018
3) you didn't provided offer 1/2 your support

if you meet either of these sets of requirements, you have to file noting someone else can claim you

now lets say based on the above no one else should be claiming you.   all you can do is paper file your return.

eventually, the IRS will send you and the other claimant a request to amend by not claiming you as a dependent.

if neither amends, the IRS sends a second request requesting proof that your the eligible person.   the loser gets a tax bill. 

We cannot tell if you could be claimed as someone else's dependent or not since you have shared no information about yourself.  The criteria for being claimed has already been shown to you in this thread.  If in fact you can be claimed as someone else's dependent, you can still file your own tax return.

You must say in My Info that you can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

However, if someone claimed you and they had no right to claim you as a dependent, then you can still prepare your return claiming yourself, then print sign and mail it.  The IRS will sort out who could claim you.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Here is  a more detailed explanation of who can be claimed

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2018 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.

• They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4,150 in 2018

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies