turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I file amended return? 2021 Medical Expense Worksheet -discovered sizeable long term care expense erroneously entered on line 4 instead of 6. No change in tax?

Line 4 is hospitals, clinics
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Should I file amended return? 2021 Medical Expense Worksheet -discovered sizeable long term care expense erroneously entered on line 4 instead of 6. No change in tax?

No, you do not have to file an amended return.

The line items on the worksheet are for your information.  Only the total of all expenses from the Medical Expenses worksheet Line 14 are entered on the Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, Line 1.

you may need to amend. based on the taxpayer's age, there's a limit on how much in LTC premiums can be deducted. if the deduction was less than the maximum, then no amendment is required.  if it was more and you itemized your deductions you may need to amend to report the lower amount that is deductible.

from schedule A instructions 

The amount you can deduct for qualified long-term care insurance contracts (as defined in Pub. 502) depends on the age, at the end of 2021, of the person for whom the premiums were paid. See the following chart for details.
IF the person was at the end of 2021 age then the most you can deduct is . . .
40 or under $ 450
41–50 $ 850
51–60 $ 1,690
61–70 $ 4,520
71 or older $ 5,640

FYI - my expenses were actual long term care amounts and not long term care insurance - different situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies