Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dcdcdc

State efile rejected - will there be an update? refund for efile?

This is the message below. I am using turbotax online. When will there be an update available to efile? I paid for the efile I am not looking to make a state payment with paper check. I have tried entering different dates but it keeps getting rejected. Is it also possible to get a refund for efile if I have to send it in manually?

The filing deadline has been extended to July 15, 2021. The current business rules prevent an e-filed return, with a direct debit payment date after 4/15/21 from being accepted. The business rule is expected to be updated on or around 4/23/2021. To retransmit your return you can do one of the following: 1) Remove the electronic withdrawal information before resubmitting the state tax return. The balance due payment will need to be made via a paper check. 2) Wait and install the latest update when available. Enter a direct debit date (after 4/15/2021) and retransmit the return electronically.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

The e-file fee is for electronically filing your state return, not electronically paying your state balance due.

If the error persists and you are not able to get the direct debit set up through TurboTax for your state balance due, use the link in the TurboTax article below and connect with your state's department of revenue.  Many offer a way to pay your state balance due electronically directly through the state.  If yours has this option, then you can select 'pay by check' when filing your return through TurboTax and then go to your state's website to make the payment electronically.  

How do I contact my state Department of Revenue?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a similar question and would like an answer about refunding the $25 fee TurboTax charged where the returns were rejected and it was necessary to mail in the return with a check.

Also, confirming that if the Federal and State returns were rejected, the electronic payment information will not be used to pay taxes. I don't want to double pay (electronic payment AND check sent with printed returns).

Please advise.

@mnsam316 If you requested to pay the state taxes owed by direct debit from your bank account and the e-filed tax return was rejected then no payment information was received by the state.

Unless you used the state payment website or a credit card to make the payment then the payment would be processed by the state.

You will have to contact TurboTax support for the refund of the state e-file fee.  Use the key words Billing Issues

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Thanks so much. I won't worry about sending out checks with my mailed in returns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies