turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

PR87
Level 1

Retrieving tax return on PC Turbotax Premium software

I used the Turbotax Premium software to file my 2020 taxes a few weeks ago. I used the e-file option for both my federal and state returns. The filing and returns went through without any problems. 

Unfortunately, I have just realized that I need to file an amendment to my tax returns. I am trying to retrieve my 2020 tax returns on the same Turbotax Premium software but am unable to do so. The software can't seem to "find" the tax file to amend on my computer. 

What am I doing wrong? How can I find the tax returns that I just filed? I have gotten email confirmations that the taxes were filed and the refunds were processed as well. However, there seems to be no "tax file" on my computer that reflects my 2020 return. 

Can you please help?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

PR87
Level 1

Actually, I switched midway from using the online platform to a Turbotax Premium software (not CD but a software downloaded to the computer) purchased from Costco. I transferred the "tax file" from the online version to the Coscto version and finished filing my taxes.

Now when I try to retrieve the tax return from the online platform, it shows that my tax return isn't completed yet (because I switched to the Costco software midway). On the other hand, when I try to log into the Costco software on my computer, it says it can't "find my tax file" on the computer.

Any suggestions on how to move forward? I need a copy to file an amendment. 

@PR87 wrote:

Actually, I switched midway from using the online platform to a Turbotax Premium software (not CD but a software downloaded to the computer) purchased from Costco. I transferred the "tax file" from the online version to the Coscto version and finished filing my taxes.

Now when I try to retrieve the tax return from the online platform, it shows that my tax return isn't completed yet (because I switched to the Costco software midway). On the other hand, when I try to log into the Costco software on my computer, it says it can't "find my tax file" on the computer.

Any suggestions on how to move forward? I need a copy to file an amendment. 

All the tax forms, schedules and worksheets are on the computer where you installed the TurboTax software, completed and filed the 2020 tax return.

With the TurboTax program opened, continue the tax return.  Click on the File tab.  Click on Print/Save for Your Records.

An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return/01/27439

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies