turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

remickel

Rejected Federal and State 2020 tax returns

I filed my 2020 Federal and State Tax returns using Turbotax.  The filings were rejected as the Federal return was rejected due to the AGI on the return does not match the 2019 filing AGI.  Yet the 2019 Tax return I sent in last year has the AGI listed exactly as found on the 2020 filing.  The Federal response is that the AGI they have is different than the one I filed in 2019 and copied onto the 2020 return.  You cannot get any info from the IRS or 

talk to anyone live due to Covid.   

I used Turbo Tax to file electronically, but cannot due to this discrepancy.  What is your recourse on this matter.  I have tried to refile numerous times with the same rejection.  The 2019 returns were both sent via hard mail last year due to owing money to the Fed and the state requiring W2 forms.  Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If it was rejected for AGI—-be aware that many 2019 returns took so long for the IRS to process that your 2019 AGI might not be in the IRS system.   Try using zero instead.

If filing with zero is rejected then file again but select the option that you did not file last year.  The IRS does not see that question and it will allow you to e-file with no AGI question.

Or—-if you filed as a “non-filer” just to get the stimulus check on a 2019 return, try using $1 as the AGI.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If that does not work and you still cannot e-file, then print, sign, and mail your tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
james2100

What do I do if the Feds do not recognize the adjusted gross income on my 2019 tax return?

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

If you have repeatedly re-entered a corrected AGI and keep being rejected, you might need to submit your return by mail. See link here:  Correct AGI got rejected

There are three ways you can use to locate your AGI:

If you have your last year's tax return, read here: Find your AGI

If you used TurboTax online to file, you can access your account here Login and download a copy of your prior year’s 1040 tax return to find your AGI.  Click here for instructions: Prior year's return

If you do not have a copy of the tax forms, you may order a transcript from the IRS.  Click here Get  Transcript and select  "Get Transcript Online "  or request a full copy of your past year's tax return.  Click here: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-4506

Once you obtained your 2019 AGI, follow this link Fix a reject to return to your account to enter your AGI and re-submit.

@james2100

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies