turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

received K-1 after 1040 filed and accepted. Do I need to file an amended return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RayW7
Expert Alumni

received K-1 after 1040 filed and accepted. Do I need to file an amended return?

Yes, if the income items on the Schedule K-1 are sufficiently large, they will generate additional taxes due on your individual return, which will require you to amend the return.

If you wait for a notice to be issued, it could result in penalties and interest being assessed in addition to the taxes due.

-follow this link for additional information-

How to Correct Federal Tax Returns - TurboTax Tax Tips ...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

Yes, if the income items on the Schedule K-1 are sufficiently large, they will generate additional taxes due on your individual return, which will require you to amend the return.

If you wait for a notice to be issued, it could result in penalties and interest being assessed in addition to the taxes due.

-follow this link for additional information-

How to Correct Federal Tax Returns - TurboTax Tax Tips ...

since you gave us no info about whether there is income or loss or whether it's active or passive, your 2020 tax bill might not change but there could be a substantial effect in future years when the interest is disposed of. 

Thanks for your input. I have received a corrected 1099-B along with the K-1. The income for the K-1 is only $40.00 so I may amend anyway. Really appreciate the link. Thanks again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies