turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

saish007
Returning Member

RE: 1040 NR filing.

I am a Non resident Alien and I have already filed the tax. I recently came to know that turbo tax does not file the 1040NR form.
Can you please help me with it. The tax has already been filed. I don't know what to do now. Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@saish007 ,  if you filed a return using TurboTax , then you have  filed a return using form 1040 ( used by citizen/Resident / Resident for tax purposes ).  If you are a Non-Resident Alien then you are taxed only on your US sourced/connected income and must use form 1040-NR  ( TubroTax partners with SprinTax for this  ).

Can you first tell me  when you cam in to the USA and  with what visa?  Do you have US sourced income?  Which country are you from?  Are you Single or Married  and if married , are you married to a Citizen/ Resident or a Non-Resident Alien ?

saish007
Returning Member

I came to the USA on F1 visa in Jan, 2017 from India. I am single and have US-sourced income. I am a Non-Resident Alien.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@saish007  since  the data you provided  shows that you are still an exempt person ( exempt from counting days present ),  you would need to file  form 1040-NR ( which is not supported by TurboTax  ( their partner in this is  SprinTax).  If the  return that you have filed  ( 1040 ) is accepted by the IRS then  you have to wait till the processing is finished  (  as shown by issuance of your refund  , if in refund position or wait  three to four weeks if you are not in refund position ).  Thereafter you will have to file an amended return  ( by mail only ) using form 1040-NR with a letter explaining that you had filed  form 1040 in error.  You can use SprinTax or perhaps your school foreign student office  offers  help in this.

If you need more on this , please feel welcome to ask

Namaste ji

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies