turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Question about Social Security and Medicare Tax

I moved here from Canada on May 20, 2019 on a TN (Nafta) visa for work. I only lived in USA partial here in 2019. Do I need to pay Social Security Tax and Medicare tax for 2019? Should I be refunded this if it was already deducted? Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I do not know much about your question, but saw it has been unanswered for a while and decided to try to help. 

I suggest reviewing  IRS Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens,

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-519

While this may not contain specific info about your question, it may refer to other publications that do. 

Also, note the links to "Related Forms" on the right side of the screen.

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Resident alien taxes

As a legal U.S. resident, you’re subject to the same tax rules as U.S. citizens. This means that you must report all income you earn on annual tax returns, regardless of which country in which you earn it.

Non-resident taxes

A non-resident must also pay income taxes to the IRS but only on the income that’s effectively connected to the U.S., which generally includes the money you earn while in the U.S. The IRS, however, has no authority to impose tax on the income that non-residents earn in their home countries or in any foreign country for that matter.

When you prepare your U.S. tax return, you must use Form 1040NR or the shorter 1040NR-EZ, if eligible.

• Regardless of the form you use, you will only report amounts that are considered US-source income.
  • Just like resident aliens and U.S. citizens, there are deductions and credits you can claim to reduce your taxable income.

All non-resident tax return forms like 1040NR, 1040NR-EZ or 8843, are available with instructions on the IRS website. You can also use software like Sprintax to guide you through the non-resident tax return preparation process.

From Help for Resident and Nonresident Aliens

Wages paid to resident aliens employed within the United States by an American or foreign employer are subject to Social Security/Medicare taxes under the same rules that apply to U.S. citizens.

Wages paid to nonresident aliens employed within the United States by an American or foreign employer, in general, are subject to Social Security/Medicare taxes for services performed by them within the United States, with certain exceptions based on their nonimmigrant status

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies