Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Penalities due to late tax filing

This year I was heavily strapped for cash due to a family emergency. I couldn't file my taxes on time and I had to file for an extension. Usually I receive a very large refund but this time I had to pay a huge amount of money to the government. Since I filed on Oct 15th, I was hit by a penalty of $2000. Anyway, I can reduce the penalty because I had a genuine financial emergency?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

The IRS may provide administrative relief from a penalty that would otherwise be applicable under its First Time Penalty Abatement policy.

You may qualify for administrative relief from penalties for failing to file a tax return, pay on time, and/or to deposit taxes when due under the Service's First Time Penalty Abatement policy if the following are true:

• You didn’t previously have to file a return or you have no penalties for the 3 tax years prior to the tax year in which you received a penalty.
  • You filed all currently required returns or filed an extension of time to file.
  • You have paid, or arranged to pay, any tax due.

The failure-to-pay penalty will continue to accrue, until the tax is paid in full. It may be to your advantage to wait until you fully pay the tax due prior to requesting penalty relief under the Service's first time penalty abatement policy.

Other administrative relief: If you received incorrect oral advice from the IRS, you may qualify for administrative relief.

Call the Toll-free Number on Your Notice

Is the information on your notice correct? If there is an issue you can resolve with your notice, a penalty might not be applicable. Call the toll-free number on your notice either to resolve the issue with your notice or to determine if you are eligible for First Time Penalty Abatement or other administrative waiver.

Is Interest Relief Available?

Interest charged on a penalty will be reduced or removed when that penalty is reduced or removed. If an unpaid balance remains on your account, interest will continue to accrue until the account is full paid. See our Interest Overview page for additional interest information.

Can't Pay Now?

• Meet your tax obligation in monthly installments by applying for a payment plan (including installment agreement).
  • Find out if you qualify for an offer in compromise -- a way to settle your tax debt for less than the full amount
  • Request that we temporarily delay collection until your financial situation improves

So I called up the IRS and they agreed to wave the penalties but not the interest on the taxes which is close to half the dues. Also I have a California tax. Anyway to get the interest and California taxes reduced?

That is another call this time to CA. Good luck.

jack755
Returning Member

I paid my taxes monthly from my IRA  distributions Why am I charged $68 late fee?/

If you owe more than $1000 on the return then the IRS applies a failure to pay penalty for the underpayment of taxes ... so increase your withholding to compensate for that short fall  or make estimated tax payments. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You may be able to reduce your penalty if you complete a worksheet in TurboTax. Go to "Other Tax Situations" and then "Additional Tax Payments" and then "Underpayment penalties":

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies