turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need to do 2020 amended federal return to correct a number (and respond to an IRS notice) but can not find any place to enter Tax Paid with Original Return. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Need to do 2020 amended federal return to correct a number (and respond to an IRS notice) but can not find any place to enter Tax Paid with Original Return. Thanks

You can only override an amount in the Desktop program in Forms Mode.  You can ask support to give you a copy of the Desktop program.  Then you would need to download the .tax2020 file from online to open in the program.

or do what Critter suggested.  Copy the amounts to a blank 1040X by hand.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

The program assumes you paid the balance due in full ... 

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. If you paid nothing already then this line should be zero.

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.  If you have not received your refund yet then you need to wait for it.  If the refund changes from what you expected then this line must reflect that change.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

"can not find any place to enter Tax Paid with Original Return. "

This amount is taken from your Form 1040.

If your 1040 doesn't have the correct value, you will have to adjust your 1040.

If this doesn't work, you'll have to fill out Form 1040-X by hand, since TurboTax Online won't let you change this value on 1040-X.

Thanks but as you said "The program ASSUMES you paid the balance due in full." So my question really is:  Is there a way to override this program assumption?

Because I can certainly see the problem on 1040X line 16 but what I can't see is how to fix it.

Appreciate any help

You can only override an amount in the Desktop program in Forms Mode.  You can ask support to give you a copy of the Desktop program.  Then you would need to download the .tax2020 file from online to open in the program.

or do what Critter suggested.  Copy the amounts to a blank 1040X by hand.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf 

you don't want to do an override.

You want to go into your form 1040 that you are revising and set it up with the correct amounts.

If you made additional payments,

one way to raise your amount paid  is to add amount paid with Estimated Tax payments, OR

amount paid with request for extension..

Usually it is line 18 that is the problem not line 16

For the folks using the CD/Download, I see there is a Forms Mode that allows them to edit a line.  But this year I did my original 1040 online and was trying to amend online. Can't figure out how to edit a line in the 1040X  online. Is there a way to do so?  Or bail and buy the 2020 CD or Download and redo it all? Thanks

Thank you so much. I just saw your response and that was what I needed. 

Contact TurboTax support. Since you paid for TurboTax they should give you a download of the program, and your state return.

without the state program you can't open the Online tax return file.

Even then it is tedious.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies