turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My daughter turned 18 in july and just got her 1st job now in October. Can I still claim her on 2019 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My daughter turned 18 in july and just got her 1st job now in October. Can I still claim her on 2019 taxes?

Yes.  You can still claim your child until the year she turns 19  (or until the year she turns 24 if she is a full-time student) as long as she meets the other criteria for being claimed.  She can file her own 2019 tax return in 2020 to seek a refund of tax withheld.  But she must say on her own return that she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.  You do not enter her income on your own return.

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2018 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4,150 in 2018   ($4200 in 2019)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

Maybe.

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, a relationship test, student status,  and residence test. See the other reply for full rules.

If she has turned 19, she can only be a QC if she was a full time student for parts of 5 months.  If she was not a FT student , then she must have less than $4200 of income to qualify as a dependent under the qualifying relative rules.  But if she is still 18, at the end of 2019, she can be a QC whether she is a student or not, as long as she lived with you most of the year.

Only a QC qualifies a taxpayer for the Earned Income Credit. 

@carnahanm1978 Did your child turn 18 in 2019?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies