turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mgoodale

My bank account information is listed on my 2018 Turbo Tax return because I PAID taxes electronically. Will this be enough for IRS to make direct deposit for stimulus?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

12 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

My bank account information is listed on my 2018 Turbo Tax return because I PAID taxes electronically. Will this be enough for IRS to make direct deposit for stimulus?

No, since you did not receive a refund, you will need to put your bank account information into the IRS portal, once it is set up.

The portal is supposed to be ready later this month.

Check on the IRS web site at www.irs.gov for more information.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

@mgoodale

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I typed in search "paid 2018 taxes electronically" and saw 2 answers about whether that bank information was enough to get stimulus check.  Your answer says "No" and the other reply says "Yes".  Both by experts - who is right?  I filed through Turbotax.  Type in the same thing and see who the other expert is and confer and please provide correct answer.  Thankyou

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

This site will give you the answer.  It's the first day up, so I'm sure it's going to be very busy.

The IRS is preparing Websites to update information and check your filing status. 

Please read what it says on the right hand side where it says “Filers: Get Your Payment”

Get Your Payment Status

mgoodale

Everyone keeps recommending the new "Get My Payment" portal, but for 24 hours I keep getting the same message:

"Payment Status Not Available

According to information that we have on file, we cannot determine your eligibility for a payment at this time.

For more information on the eligibility rules, see our Frequently Asked Questions page."

I've used both my wife's and my SSN information and after a couple times, was blocked for 24 hours from checking again. This is worrying because I filed 2018 taxes through TurboTax and our AGI was under the first threshold and our address is listed on the first 1040 page. We should definitely be eligible. Wasn't planning to file 2019 until July 15. We PAID a small amount of taxes last year through our bank. 

Since I've been paying TurboTax for 9 years to file my taxes, can't someone from TurboTax help? 

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

The IRS portal is not fully functional yet.  There are still a few categories of taxpayer situations not covered.  Keep checking using the primary taxpayer information only.  The site updates once daily so no need to check more than once a day. 

Since you did not get a refund in 2018 your stimulus payment will not be direct deposit unless 1) you add that information on the IRS portal when able or 2) you file a 2019 return and it results in a refund that you elect to have direct deposited. 

Those who do not have direct deposit information on file will get the stimulus payment by paper check.  Those checks will be begin to be mailed out in May and continue throughout the year.   

mgoodale

Thank you for the answer. 

However, I'm not sure what kind of special category I would be in. Married filed jointly, AGI under thresholds, 2018 returns filed and paid small amount of tax, 2019 returns NOT processing yet, address listed clearly on first page of 1040, 2 dependent children. 

If I can't log into the portal, how can I enter my direct deposit information?

mgoodale

As a follow-up, I found this on the IRS website:

Payment Status Not Available

In certain cases, the Get My Payment app will be unable to tell you the status of your payment.  You may receive this message for one of the following reasons:

• If you are not eligible for a payment (see IRS.gov on who is eligible and who is not eligible)
  • If you are required to file a tax return and have not filed in tax year 2018 or 2019.
  • If you recently filed your return or provided information through Non-Filers: Enter Your Payment Info on IRS.gov. Your payment status will be updated when processing is completed.
  • If you are a SSA or RRB Form 1099 recipient, SSI or VA benefit recipient – the IRS is working with your agency to issue your payment; your information is not available in this app yet.

** However, none of these situations apply to me!! 

When I looked up my information on my stimulant check they have the wrong bank account and I need to know what account do you guys have

ghar27

OK,

The refund came through on the 15th. I filed through TurboTax. I don't understand why I did not get the $2400 with my refund. When I go to "Get Your , I get the message that there is no information. So TurboTax seems to be saying that you will get the payment if you received a refund. But that is not true.

Not at all happy with TurboTax.

TT has NOTHING to do with the issuance of the stimulus check which will be deposited by the IRS at a different time. 

ghar27

Not according to the Washington Post. They say it's a TT screwup.

pensionman
Returning Member

Hi,

Filed on Turbo Premier for the last several years. In 2018 I owed on the federal but provided Turbo with my bank info to allow the IRS to auto debit my account for the baklance due. This was done last April 15 with no problem. Same for 2019, I already filed, provided my bank info and set the date to be debited to 7/15.  I have been receiving the same message from the IRS,cannot be determined. Although they have my bank info will this result in a paper check since I owed money the last couple of years? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies