turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Missing $2,880 from my tax return, almost half of it!!!

My tax return was deposited into my account and it was almost $3,000 short!!!! I contacted the IRS and I had no offsets on my file. I am so irritated. I haven't been able to talk to a real person at the IRS but I looked into why it may be short and the IRS website told me it was because my dependent's information was incorrect but I didn't file with a dependent!!!!! I have tried calling the IRS but am unable to get anything resolved as they are too busy for me to get a real person to talk to. I've looked into it and it seems that this is happening to a lot of people who've used Turbotax specifically. I'm very frustrated and feel so helpless in this situation and I don't know what to do. I've been using turbotax since I turned 18, so that's 9 years and I've never had an issue like this before. I don't know what can be done about this situation.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

If the amount was exactly $2800, it might mean that you said on your tax return that you and your spouse did not receive the 3rd stimulus payment when in fact you did. The IRS would be subtracting $1400 each for the stimulus payment you already got but said you didn't get on your tax return and had a recovery rebate credit on your return for that amount. Does this explain it?

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

In this public forum we cannot diagnose why your refund has been reduced. For additional information, please see this Help Article or this TurboTax blog.

If you do not receive a letter explaining the decrease in your refund then you will need to continue to try to contact the IRS to inquire about your refund. Please see How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)? for more information, including the IRS phone number and hours of operation. You may want to try calling right when they open since they have been very busy throughout the day.

@riocbowen

If either of us had received a third stimulus that would make perfect sense but we didn't get a third stimulus.

I never received a letter and I have tried calling right when they open and they're still too busy! All of the information on their website explaining why I had the deduction was completely incorrect (it was all related to a dependent being filed incorrectly when I have no dependent!!!!!) I am not able to reach them and it seems like many TurboTax customers are dealing with this exact issue.

You should know if you got EIP3 or not.

BUT, a lot of people never look at their bank statement.

One thing is sure, if the IRS sent it to you, they know that.

Then they sent another letter earlier this year to remind you that you got it and don't ask for it again.

If you ask for it again, IRS will deny it.

If a check mailed to you was lost, you must ask IRS to put a trace on it.

A wrong dependent is one of the generic reasons they changed the Recovery Rebate Credit on line 30.  Did you have 2800 on line 30?  The IRS records show they sent the 3rd Stimulus  to you.

If you claimed a missing stimulus payment on your return but the IRS took it off you have to ask the IRS. They think they already sent it to you. Maybe it went to an account you don't remember. Or you got a check or a card. It was probably easy to miss the debit card in the mail and think it was junk mail. They have to put a trace on it.

Double check your bank accounts and check your IRS account (both accounts if married) to see how much the IRS sent you.
https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

If you didn't get the 3rd Stimulus check but the IRS shows they sent it to you then request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-round-economic-impact-payment-top...

Joir

I am missing over $4,000 from my return !! I don’t understand why TurboTax would estimate so high and on top of me paying $200 EXTRA to FILE the “tax expert” that comes with that obviously didn’t do a thorough check on my 2021 refund. This is my 8th year filing with turbo tax & the first year they’ve told me the wrong amount … I am Highly upset 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies