turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sokralik

May I complete three separate returns with the online software? I would complete one for me, one for my son, and one for my daughter, like I did with the CD last year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

May I complete three separate returns with the online software? I would complete one for me, one for my son, and one for my daughter, like I did with the CD last year.

No.  Online is only good for 1 return per account.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Thats why if you need to do more than 1 return we recommend you buy the Desktop CD/Download program.  It can do unlimited returns and efile 5 for free.  And you can buy a lower version.  All the Desktop programs have the same forms. You just get more help and guidance in the higher versions.

And if you used the Desktop program before you may not like the Online version.  There are several differences.

Sorry, the TurboTax online editions are only for completing one tax return per account and User ID.

To start another tax return using the online editions you will have to create a new account and a new User ID for that account - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/

You can have up to 5 User ID's associated with one email address.

@ sokralik 

If you haven't already prepared your return, then the CD (or download) would be a solution for preparing all 3 returns.    However, if you already started and prepared your own return Online, you can even move your unfinished 2019 return to the desktop software to finish it, if desired and if you are trying to figure out how to prepare the son and daughter's return online, consider the following, since they (and/or you yourself) may qualify to file free returns:

TurboTax has 2 free products, and your son and daughter may be able to use one (they each need their own account.)

The regular Free Edition is for very simple returns and not everyone can use it.  Certain forms are not available in Free Edition and require an upgrade to Deluxe or higher, such as one of Schedules 1-3, itemized deductions, education credits, student loan interest, retirement savers credit, etc.   Depending on the complexity of the return you may not be able to use regular Free Edition.  If you need to itemize deductions, for instance, or have one of the Schedules 1-3, etc., you won't be able to use it.   See this FAQ on some situations where one cannot use Free Edition:

FAQ:  Why do I have to upgrade from Free Edition?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/why-do-i-have-to-upgrade-from-free-edition/00/26379

The other free product (TurboTax IRS Free File Program) is fully-featured and can prepare all the usual forms and schedules.  It is even more powerful than Deluxe, if they qualify.  For example, in addition to Schedules 1-3 it can prepare Schedule C, D, E, F, etc., and enter K-1. But one has to meet one of the qualifications to use.  See below:

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns through the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax, a user just needs to meet one of these requirements:

• Your 2019 AGI is $36,000 or less (for Married Filing Jointly returns, combined AGI of both spouses cannot be over that limit),  or
      • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
      • In 2019, you served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum AGI of $69,000, and you have a military-issued W-2.

If they qualify for that program and want to use it, it is at a special website. You would need to establish an account for your son and a separate one for your daughter.  See this FAQ:

FAQ:  What is the TurboTax IRS Free File Program?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program/01/...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies