turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Maryland Unemployment taxes? Do I need to amend my return because of the new waived unemployment taxes? Or will Maryland adjust it automatically?

I had already filed my taxes before the law was passed. My return for Md has been received but not processed according to the website.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Maryland Unemployment taxes? Do I need to amend my return because of the new waived unemployment taxes? Or will Maryland adjust it automatically?

Yes, you will have to amend your return to reflect the RELIEF Act and get a refund of any taxes paid for your unemployment compensation if you are eligible. However, the forms must first be revised by the State of Maryland. TurboTax will then update the Maryland state return in the program. 

Per the State of Maryland on 2/16/21, the Comptroller began accepting tax year 2020 returns for processing prior to the enactment of the RELIEF Act. Due to the emergency nature of this bill, both individual and business tax forms will be created or modified to account for its provisions. 

Once the forms are updated, you will be able to amend your return. 

Also, please keep in mind that the tax free unemployment waiver only appears to apply to single filers who reported under $75,000 or joint filers who reported under $100,000. 

For more information, please see the Relief Act Tax Alert

[Edited 3/7/21 l 11:55am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is there a timeframe said by the Comptroller of Maryland on when they are going to update the forms?  No point in my filing my taxes now if they are going to update it and then ammend it.  So just wondering if there has been a time frame.

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Yes. Per the State of Maryland, the tax forms related to the RELIEF Act signed into law on February 15, 2021, will not be ready until sometime in March. 

For more information, please see Maryland RELIEF ACT

@stephenatkins0416 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies