Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

anniepotts
Returning Member

Mailed 1040 AND filed non-file form electronically... Help!

I mailed the IRS my 2019 1040 form in April, even though I was not required to file taxes. I was worried about IRS processing centers being closed due to COVID-19 and wanted to be sure the IRS had my correct address and information for the Economic Impact Payment as quickly as possible, so I made the dumb mistake of submitting a non-filer form online in May.

The instructions for the "Personal Verification" section on the non-filer form confused me, so the AGI reported on my non filer form and the one on the  mailed return ended up being different. I had entered my 2018 AGI, but when I clicked to print off my completed and submitted non-filer form, it opened as a 2019 1040 form! The IRS accepted my non-filer form, which somehow had the 2018 AGI information for 2019, as it turned out. 

My question is this: Because my mailed form 1040 was dated and filed first, will that one take precedence over the non-filer form, once it has been processed by the IRS? Even though the non-filer form, which had my 2018 AGI as 2019's, was accepted first? If not, what should I do? 

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Mailed 1040 AND filed non-file form electronically... Help!

Your 2018 AGI was only needed in order to e-file the 2019 return.  The AGI will not even be looked at on a mailed return--it is not on the actual Form 1040 anyhow.  You only enter it into the software during the filing process.  And, right now, your mailed return is just sitting in a trailer full of other piled up mail.  Do not stress over it.  They will likely get to the e-filed non-filer form first since they are so backlogged on opening mail.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/20/politics/irs-mail-trailers-covid/index.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies