turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ralitty

It’s saying I don’t have a federal tax refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
PhyllisG

It is possible that you did not receive a refund because your tax credits (e.g. W-2 withholding, estimated tax payments) and deductions were equal to or less than your tax liability. 

Tax liability means the amount that you were expected to pay during the year.  For example, your yearly payroll statement or Form W-2 reflect income tax withholding of $9,000. After calculating your taxable income, your tax liability is $9,000. This will result in a "wash," which means the government doesn't owe you a refund and you don't owe the government. 

Now, let's say for instance your withholding is $9,000 but your tax liability is $10,000 then you will owe $1,000 to the government because you did not have enough withheld from your pay during the year.

It says I don't have a refund but it's still suggesting I pay with a card. Is this COVID 19 related? The IRS is not accepting phone calls but I'm almost certain that I don't owe. What are my options? 

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@Graftonstreetjules Can you please clarify? Are you currently filing and it showing you owe or are you checking the status of your taxes after filing?

Please see the TurboTax FAQ's below that may help answer your question:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ok I been using turbo tax since 2017 and never experienced this problem. I'm currently trying to file my taxes. I'm at the end and I'm trying to pay using my tax refund like I have always done. Unfortunately it will not allow me to and it's saying that I do not federal tax return but TT allows me to use my debit card to file. I don't have anything showing that I owe currently or ever. Very frustrated and confused. I DID look at FAQs but I haven't seen any that pertain to me. 

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Customer Support phone number below for further assistance:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

If you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Do you have a refund on your federal return 1040 line 21a?  Or a tax due?  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

If you do have a Refund,  Is your federal refund big enough to cover the federal and state fees plus the EXTRA 39.99 Refund Processing Service charge (44.99 in California)?

Why you can't deduct the fees

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-can-t-i-deduct-my-turbotax-fees-from-my-...

How to see your fees

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...

I'm having the same issue I started over twice and same thing

SHAY86

How do u handle this situation it did it to me

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

@SHAY86 Could you please clarify what happened with your tax return? After completing your return, are you showing that you will not be receiving a federal tax refund? Does it show that you will owe taxes to the IRS?

Did you get this problem resolved im having the same trouble 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You are commenting on an older thread. Do you have a specific question we can assist you with? 

@TazerP

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies