turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It’s been almost 2 months since I e-filed and sent in my taxes, I haven’t got anything back should I resend them or wait?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
CassLO
Intuit Alumni

It’s been almost 2 months since I e-filed and sent in my taxes, I haven’t got anything back should I resend them or wait?

No, you would not refile. This could cause issues and delays for both. Continue to monitor your refund on the IRS Where’s My Federal Refund? site for updates. Updates are made daily, usually overnight. You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status. 

If the Where’s My Federal Refund? site shows your tax return is processing,  during this time the government reviews your refund. During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts. 

If they need to make any corrections, they may offset (reduce) your refund. In some cases, the correction might even increase your refund.

Once that part's done, the government approves your refund, which means it's ready to be deposited or sent. At that point the IRS site will update with a direct deposit date. 

The general timeline of e-filed returns is: Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

Note: Once your refund status on the IRS shows "Refund Sent" it can take 1 to 5 business days approximately, for the financial institution to deposit fund into your account. 

Please see the links below for more information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When I check where my refund is, it says it can’t be found. I had to mail everything in, does it only track refunds if you did it online?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

@kyliewalker Normally paper filed returns can take 6-8 weeks for processing. The IRS asks that you wait 4 weeks after the date you mailed your tax return before looking it up on the IRS Where's My Refund? site.

However, per the IRS Corona Virus Tax Relief website

Paper Tax Returns: All taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider or IRS Free File if possible. The IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed   once processing centers are able to reopen. . . 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I efiled in Feb.  It's the last day of June today.  My status has been "processing" since February.  They are not answering calls.  I assume there has to be something questionable in there for it to take this long.  Is there someone at Turbotax that can review my return? 

@Chilly1208 No one has access to your account or your return.  No one can review it.  You are among many people experiencing delays in receiving a tax refund thanks to the pandemic.  Unless the IRS has put some sort of message on the refund site about your delay, or sent you a letter requesting identity verification, etc. you are just stuck waiting for them to process your return.  Since it has been so long, you might want to contact a tax advocate.

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your area's IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jb78

I e-filled back in March and my federal return is still pending :( Am I able to see a copy of the federal return? All my state taxes and done and refund has been received (I did have to mail in the state taxes).

@jb78

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-get-a-copy-of-a-return-i-filed-thi...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies