turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Irs adjusted my 2021tax refund to $1663 a difference of $1400 from $3063. It was my economic impact payment. How can I see that amendment on my 2021 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Irs adjusted my 2021tax refund to $1663 a difference of $1400 from $3063. It was my economic impact payment. How can I see that amendment on my 2021 taxes?

there is no amendment; the IRS just made the adjustment.  if you are asking how to see that adjustment in Turbo tax, once Turbo Tax submits your tax return, there is no 'feed  back loop' from the IRS to TUrbo Tax that will adjust your online file in Turbo Tax.

there is nothing for you to do. 

if you already received the 3rd stimulus last March - May, 2021, then you are not entitled to the Economic Impact Payment.  That is why the IRS adjusted your return.

Correct ... there is nothing to amend.  Look at your form 1040 ... they removed the 1400 on line 30 thus reducing your refund the same amount. 

So... if you never received a stimulus deposit or check—and the IRS records show  they paid you—then you should ask the IRS to trace your payment.  Many payments were sent and not cashed so a trace is the only option available to you.  Some were sent on debit cards that looked like junk mail and many folks thru them  in the trash.    If the payment was never cashed ONLY THEN can you send in an amended return to claim the credit and attach the findings letter with the 1040X form. 

The fastest way to initiate a trace is to contact the IRS by calling us at 800-919-9835.

You can also complete Form 3911:

• Write "EIP3" on the top of the form to identify the payment you want to trace.
  • Complete the form answering all refund questions as they relate to your Economic Impact Payment.
  • When completing item 7 under Section 1:
    • Check the box for "Individual" as the Type of return
    • Enter "2021" as the Tax Period
    • Do not write anything for the Date Filed
  • Sign the form. If you file married filing jointly, both spouses must sign the form.

You will generally receive a response 6 weeks after we receive your request for a payment trace, but there may be delays due to limited staffing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies