turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ip pin

•  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Ip pin

Would you please clarify the question you have about our IP PIN?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Ip pin

I am trying to efile my return but its asking 4 the ip pin and i never recieved 1 and never been a victom of fraud either so I can't send my return cause of the pin unless they sent me 1 but I moved from that address what can I do now and I also filed my 2018 return but never recieved it so the stimulus money what is it gonna go by 

BillM223
Employee Tax Expert

Ip pin

So you never applied for the Identity Protection pin (IP PIN), so of course the IRS never sent you one?

What is happening in the e-file process that is stopping you? Are you being stopped in TurboTax itself, or is your return being rejected by the IRS after you try to file?

If it is the latter case, then apparently the IRS thinks that they issued you a pin. You might go to this IRS webpage to see if you can retrieve the IP PIN that you apparently were not aware of.

Ip pin

No I never signed up 4 one and they never sent me 1 and i go to efile it asks me if I have a ip pin and i say no and I send my return and it rejects it cause it is requesting my ip pin i called and tried 2 get it online and it dont work 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Ip pin

If you're sure you are supposed to have an IP PIN, but didn't receive one from the IRS in a letter at the end of December or in January, you should try to retrieve it. Have you tried retrieving your current-year IP PIN at this IRS website tool? https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/retrieve-your-ip-pin If you are unable to retrieve the IP PIN online, you can phone the special IRS phone number shown on that page, and if they can identify you completely on the phone, they will postal mail the IP PIN to you within 21 days. If you are supposed to have an IP PIN, you can't efile without it, or it will reject. It's possible to file on paper by printing, signing, dating, and mailing without the IP PIN, but it can take the IRS longer to process your return since it will require additional screening. To file by mail, one would make that choice in the FILE section, and it should prompt you to print the return. TurboTax does not mail it for you. If you go that route, you have to print, sign, date, and mail the return to the IRS address in the Filing Instructions which also print. If you mail, it's a good idea to mail by a method that has tracking such as certified mail, priority mail, etc. This Turbo Tax FAQ will provide more information on the IP PIN https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/filing-and-paying-taxes/help/what-s-an-ip-pin-do-i-need-one/00/271...

Ip pin

Except for you can't get in contact 2oth the irs that nu.ber doesn't work because they cut their staff i need to retrieve my ip pin as welll and the online  help tool does not work for me either 

Ip pin

If the online tool to get a lost IPPIN  (https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin)   does not work then the ONLY option at this time is to print and mail the tax return. 

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Ip pin

I’m having the same problem with my tax return getting REJECTED. I filed by paper 7 weeks ago (at the IRS suggestion to do so) & still got a letter from the IRS wanting me to prove my identity on their website.  It asked for my Student Loan account number to verify my identity & it STILL WONT WORK. It will not take my info, stating it’s wrong. And my account number is straight from the Department of Education. So I know it’s correct. 

The IRS letter said to call the number listed on their letter, but the IRS isn’t taking any phone calls right now.  So how on earth will I get a stimulus payment? Especially if I can’t prove who I even am to them? I’m beyond frustrated & beside myself. I tried putting in my bank account info into their web portal that opened today & it’s rejecting it because I need the IP Pin:/

Do you have any ideas of what I can do? I’m at such a loss....

Sincerely, 

Lori 

Ip pin

@ LoriNicolls 

If you can't reach anyone at the IRS (which is normal right now due to Coronavirus), then try phoning your local area office of the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service and see if they have a suggestion.  Their website says they are still taking calls for people who have an unresolved tax issue and are experiencing an economic hardship.

https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/contact-us

Click your state on the map on that page to get the number or use the dropdown list of states.

If you are due a stimulus payment, you'll eventually get it at some point.  It may not be quick, however.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies