turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I owed on my taxes and scheduled my payment for July, will I still get stimulus check before the due date?

I filed my taxes on Turbo Tax, but since I owe money, I plan to use my stimulus check to pay off my taxes. However, I checked the "Get My Payment" page that the IRS has provided and my information is "unavailable" and can't be accessed at this time. Because I scheduled my payment, does that mean I won't be getting my stimulus check until my taxes have been paid in full?

Thank you,

Christa

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

If I owed on my taxes and scheduled my payment for July, will I still get stimulus check before the due date?

Yes. If you owe the IRS this year, for a previous year, or if you’re on an installment plan, you’ll still get your stimulus payment. The law says no offsets for existing federal tax debts. There is, however, an exception for child support. If you owe child support, your check can be seized for the outstanding amount. Since you recently filed your return, the IRS probably hasn't updated your stimulus payment information in their system yet. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Hi, the link doesn't really answer the question about having had scheduled a payment for a later date. I filed last week, however.

KatrinaB48
Expert Alumni

Yes. If you owe the IRS this year, for a previous year, or if you’re on an installment plan, you’ll still get your stimulus payment. The law says no offsets for existing federal tax debts. There is, however, an exception for child support. If you owe child support, your check can be seized for the outstanding amount. Since you recently filed your return, the IRS probably hasn't updated your stimulus payment information in their system yet. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I paid my 2018 taxes (I did not get a refund) prior to 4/15/19. This year, I paid my 2019 taxes on 4/17/20. I do not usually get a refund. 

When I go to check for my stimulus payment using the IRS tool, it says they cannot determine my eligibility. So I can't get past it to enter my bank information. Note that I pay my taxes using my bank account? If I can't enter the bank information and they are not using the bank information with which I paid my taxes, where, please can I enter this information.

As I said, I cannot get past the "Get my payment" button. It seems like it is only for people who got a refund. Please help. Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies