turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

b-rad3232

If i amend my taxes so i can take dependent off of them will it change how much i get back even tho i filed the earned income credit instead of the dependent

so if i went with the earned income credit why did turbo tax still put the dependent on my taxes too even tho that dependent  did nothing for my return
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If i amend my taxes so i can take dependent off of them will it change how much i get back even tho i filed the earned income credit instead of the dependent

It is not at all clear what you did in regard to claiming a dependent and receiving earned income credit.  You have not said who the dependent is.  If the dependent is your child, then your earned income credit would have been calculated based on claiming your child.  If the dependent was someone else--like a GF, BF, parent, etc. then your earned income credit would not have been affected by that dependent.

Did you claim a dependent you should not have claimed?  The rules are below:

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

IRS interview to help determine who can be claimed:

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  It is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it, like UPS or certified mail, so you will know it was received.

Wait about 3 weeks from mailing and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Cryshuna503
Returning Member

Hi my name is Cryshuna  I am trying to get in touch with the IRS I have questions about 2019 and 2018 and I made a mistake on my W-2 I label myself as a dependent and I am trying to take it off I don’t want anyone to carry me please give me a call I haven’t received my stimulus at all for that reason my phone number is [phone number removed] thank you

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

The stimulus payments are based on the 2020 tax return that you haven't filed yet. If you don't get either the first or second payments because your 2019 return shows that you can be claimed as somebody else's dependent, you can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit when you file your 2020 taxes and it will provide the same amount of payment as the stimulus would have. TurboTax will guide you through this when you prepare your return. But amending your 2019 return won't help you get a payment any earlier, and you'll need to wait until you file your 2020 return to receive the money. 

You can reach the IRS at 800-829-1040 if you need to discuss your prior year returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies