turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vaquero37

If by reporting the stimulus on your taxes it would not affect your return why when i reported the stimulus it changed my taxes from recieving a refund to owing the IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

If by reporting the stimulus on your taxes it would not affect your return why when i reported the stimulus it changed my taxes from recieving a refund to owing the IRS?

Your tax return may have been reflecting your receiving the Recovery Rebate Credit, as if you had not received the stimulus payment.  When you entered the stimulus you received, it eliminated the credit on your return, thus reducing your refund by the amount of the credit.

The Recovery Rebate Credit is a credit that was authorized by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. So, if you were eligible for an Economic Impact payment, commonly referred to as a stimulus payment, but did not receive one or you received less than the full amount as an advanced payment in 2020 then you can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return. Generally, the credit can increase your refund amount or lower the taxes you may owe. 

For more information, see:  What is a Recovery Rebate Tax Credit?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
owin
Level 1

Finishing up TT Deluxe for '21. All systems go, till the speed bump "Federal Review." Stimulus receipts entered are confirmed and the answer - "Yes" is bulleted. Also bulleted is my tax due, interestingly in the same amount of the #3 stimulus received. OUCH! Is this a new payback stimulus? HELP help help

Where is the brake pedal on this version of TT?

owin
Level 1

If I select "No" the tax amount is reduced by the stimulus amount. So, while simple math was abandoned a century ago, I feel as if a stimulus number should move only one way, from giver to receiver. Help help help help

@owin 

What you may not realize is that as soon as you began to prepare your tax return, the software was giving you the $1400 and it was shown on that "refund monitor" -----but when you entered that you received it already, the software had to reconcile the payment you received,   You cannot get it twice---so it looked to you like you "lost" $1400.   You did not lose it---you just cannot receive it twice.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Manage cookies