Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was unemployed and filed the form needed to get the stimulus check and claimed 2 kids, how come I didn’t get money for them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was unemployed and filed the form needed to get the stimulus check and claimed 2 kids, how come I didn’t get money for them?

suggest waiting on the letter that the IRS is supposed to send within 2 weeks explaining what they did and what to do if you don't agree, 

your children should have qualified as long as 

• they are under 17 years old
  • US citizens or resident aliens
  • have a social security number 
  • you provide over 50% of their support

can you go back to the form you filled out as a non-filer..... 

1) did you do that through the turbo tax website or through the IRS website?

2) look at the check marks WAY to the right of your children's name...which box is checked? "child tax credit" or "credit for other dependents"

View solution in original post

6 Replies

not everyone has received the check yet...patience!

Check the IRS website for status of the stimulus payment and update your bank information if necessary.

AGI is line 7 on your 2018 return and line 8B on your 2019 return.  Refund is line 21a of the 2019 tax return. and line 20a for 2018

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

What if I got the deposit in my bank account for myself but not them? Does that mean they didn’t  qualify and I won’t be getting money for them?

suggest waiting on the letter that the IRS is supposed to send within 2 weeks explaining what they did and what to do if you don't agree, 

your children should have qualified as long as 

• they are under 17 years old
  • US citizens or resident aliens
  • have a social security number 
  • you provide over 50% of their support

can you go back to the form you filled out as a non-filer..... 

1) did you do that through the turbo tax website or through the IRS website?

2) look at the check marks WAY to the right of your children's name...which box is checked? "child tax credit" or "credit for other dependents"

They should’ve qualified then. Went through turbo tax and the box is checked “child tax credit” on both. 

@roseann408 - wow.... suggest waiting for that letter from the IRS that you should receive within 2 weeks; hopefully there is a "dispute' process listed in that letter. 

Thank you for your help! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies