turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MarkKarla

I thought I filed an extension in April but apparently did not. And now I missed the chance to do so in July. Do I still need to file ext or just skip that at this point?

Is there a penalty for having missed it? I prob won't file these for another month or two. To be honest, with the Covid stuff, I got a couple notices from TurboTax but thought they were spam or phishing. Somehow, I thought things had all been pushed back to October...
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I thought I filed an extension in April but apparently did not. And now I missed the chance to do so in July. Do I still need to file ext or just skip that at this point?

It's too late to file an extension now. If you are getting a refund there's no penalty for filing late. If you owe tax, file and pay as soon as you can to minimize the penalties.

It is too late to file an extension. They had to be filed by July 15, 2020. Just file your return as soon as possible. If you are getting a refund there is no penalty.  You can efile until Oct 15.  After that Turbo Tax Online will close for 2019 returns and you will have to mail it.

It is too late to get an extension for a 2019 return.  Now your return is just late.  If you are getting a refund there is no penalty for missing the filing deadline.   

If you owe tax due, then you will be subject to late filing penalties and interest on the the amount you owe

If you owe taxes, the interest/penalties will be calculated by the IRS based on how much you owe and when they receive your return and payment. The IRS will bill you for this; it will not be calculated by TurboTax.

"Somehow, I thought things had all been pushed back to October..."    You misunderstood.  The original filing deadline was April 15, 2020 and was pushed to July 15, 2020.  People who did request extensions have until October 15 to file their tax returns--but still had to pay tax due by July 15, 2020.  The last day to e-file your 2019 return will be October 15, 2020.  After that, e-filing will shut down and you will have to file by mail.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies