Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

avink031

I accidently forgot to make it where my parents can claim me as a dependant and I need it fixed please

Can you guys please change that I can be claimed on my parents taxes as a dependant.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

I accidently forgot to make it where my parents can claim me as a dependant and I need it fixed please

File your amendment as soon as you can.  Have your parents mail in their returns before the July 15  deadline to avoid the late filing penalty.  Have them send in any payments due by the July 15 deadline as well to avoid penalties and interest. 

In their mailing package they should include an explanation letter and a copy of your amendment (that you have already submitted). This should eliminate much of the back and forth.   

Please see this link for State extended due dates: 

about-coronavirus-covid-19-and-your-taxes-46320/#state-tax-updates

[Edited 03/27/20 to reflect IRS and state extended due dates]
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

14 Replies

I should have said I was a dependent but I claimed myself

Did you say you could not be claimed as someone else’s dependent, but it turns out your parent(s) can claim you?  Now your parents’ return is being rejected when they e-file, or it will be rejected.  That means your parents must print, sign, and mail their return.  They can still claim you as a dependent, but they cannot e-file now.  

Your part in fixing this is to wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received you refund.  THEN you need to file an amended return, called a 1040X, to change the way you answered that question in Personal Info about whether you can be claimed as someone else’s dependent.  You will have to print and mail the 1040X—it cannot be e-filed. You might need to repay some of your refund.

The way to amend your tax return is to wait for it to be fully processed and you have received your refund.  Then you can use a form called the 1040X to prepare an amended tax return to add a W-2, your student loan interest, a 1099R, or whatever else you originally forgot to include.  (or to change a dependent’s status, etc.)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-the-2016-taxes-i-filed-with-turbotax-online 

A 1040X cannot be e-filed.  It must be printed and mailed.  It will take about 2-4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.

Wait about 3 weeks and you can check the status of your amended return:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Question regarding this, the same thing happened to me I forgot to check the box that my mom claims me as a dependent. Therefore, she now has to mail her return in , and mine has already been accepted. My question is, I claimed EITC on my return, my mom is also claiming EITC, is this going to be a issue or does it have anything to do with the dependent issue? are they related? I'm trying to see what is going to be the outcome for my return amount wise.  I have no clue what is going to change once the correction is made on my return.

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

You may have to pay back the part of your refund that was related to EIC.  A dependent cannot claim the EIC Credit.

After you Amend your Return and change your status to Dependent, the IRS will send you a letter to let you know if this is the case.

Click the link for more info on the Earned Income Credit.

ok gotcha thank you!

Hello again, sorry to bother, but theres been a change regarding this. so last week my mom went ahead and mailed her return with a note stating that her claiming me is correct and that i would have to ammend. but turns out that my return is correct in claiming myself. so, so far my state has already been issued and my federal will continue to be processed. so what happens now with my moms return? because since mine is correct, she now has to change her return so that shes not claiming me. so far it doesnt seem like they received her mailed in return yet, so what would she have to do now?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

The mailed return will take up to 16 weeks to process. Once she knows they have received it, it will be rejected because of the duplicate social security number. She will have to resubmit her return.

The tax law allows you to calculate what your tax would be for either

• her to claim you/you file as a dependent on someone else's return or
  • your mom does not claim you/you claim yourself. 

Then, you are allowed to file what is best for the total tax picture. 

Since she paper filed, the best way for her to check on her return status is to call the IRS at 1-800-829-4933. She will otherwise likely receive a notice and could wait to respond to the notice if there are no or nominal penalties and interest accruing for the increase in tax due. If she were to prepare and mail an amendment before April 15, 2020, there would be no penalties and interest calculated until after that due date.

Hi, I also have the same situation right now. So can my parents still file their tax by mailing it before we send the amended form or do they have to file their tax after my tax have been amended? And also if I file my amended tax form around March 20, will they consider it late for my parents and I to file our taxes at that time since the deadline is on April 15 and it takes 2-3 months to process it?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

File your amendment as soon as you can.  Have your parents mail in their returns before the July 15  deadline to avoid the late filing penalty.  Have them send in any payments due by the July 15 deadline as well to avoid penalties and interest. 

In their mailing package they should include an explanation letter and a copy of your amendment (that you have already submitted). This should eliminate much of the back and forth.   

Please see this link for State extended due dates: 

about-coronavirus-covid-19-and-your-taxes-46320/#state-tax-updates

[Edited 03/27/20 to reflect IRS and state extended due dates]
Vanessa14
Returning Member

Hi, i have the same problem, my parents they don't have income and i claimed them as my dependants in 2018 but i haven't filed my tax yet this year.however, my parents filed last week a tax return for 2019 after watching the news for the stimulus check that people who don't have income should also apply for the tax return. My father did file with zero income and he didn't answer a Yes to the question where it says if he can be claimed as a dependent on someone. Now, i'm gonna apply for my 2019 tax return and since myparents are dependent on me i need to claim them but what's gonna happen next since my parents filed their tax stating that no one else is claiming them as dependant. What do i need to do?

You want to claim your parents so that you can get the  $500 credit for other dependents for yourself----which is all you get for claiming an adult dependent.  You will not receive stimulus funds for claiming them.   Your parents would like to get $1200 each for the stimulus money.   Dad filed so that he can get the stimulus funds.  You do not mention anything about whether your mother was included when Dad filed.  You have not yet filed---so unless you file a return claiming them, they could each get the $1200.  You "can" claim them.  Be aware of how it works out if you do.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Vanessa14
Returning Member

Thank you. So my main concern is if i file my taxes, would it allow me to claim them as my dependents? Since when my dad filed his taxes along with my mom (all zero income), he selected that no one is going to claim them as dependants.

gregor516

Do the parents still need to mail in their return if an amended 1040 was efiled by child after error was found?

Sorry yes.  Once a ssn has been entered into IRS you can't efile it again.  Amending won't clear it.

@gregor516 wrote:

Do the parents still need to mail in their return if an amended 1040 was efiled by child after error was found?

Yes, they must print and mail their tax return.  The IRS will continue to reject their e-filed return even after the amended return has been processed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies