turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

schuerlr

I saw where the college tuition write-off was resurrected for 2018 and it may be worth it to amend my 2018 tax return. I tried to amend my return, not sure how to change

I did receive the Lifetime Learning Credit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I saw where the college tuition write-off was resurrected for 2018 and it may be worth it to amend my 2018 tax return. I tried to amend my return, not sure how to change

Those tax law changes will not be ready for you to amend your return for quite awhile.  First the IRS has to change forms, and then all the software programmers have to make changes, then the IRS has to approve all of that revised software.  Check back in a few months if you want to amend for any of the tax changes that Congress passed in late December.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

@xmasbaby0 has a point, you won't be able to do this right away, but here are the instructions.

You may find that you are better off to stick with the Lifetime Learning Credit, but if you want to see if the Tuition and Fees deductions is better, this is how you do in in Turbo Tax Online:

1. Sign in to your Turbo Tax account.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents, click Show on the right.
  3. Select 2018 and then click Amend (change) return.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns. If you will get more money back by amending, the refund box will show you the amount.
  5. When finished, follow the instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.

If you find that you aren't getting more money back, just don't file the amended return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Manage cookies