turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

meldoebel

I owe taxes this year bc I made a mistake. I'm going to amend but it take up to 16 weeks to process. Taxes are due 4/15.

Will I be considered late on my payment while I wait for my amended return to process?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

I owe taxes this year bc I made a mistake. I'm going to amend but it take up to 16 weeks to process. Taxes are due 4/15.

IRS will keep track of the date the amended return is received, even if it is not processed until later and that will be the date of the change of your return for IRS purposes.  That way, your date of filing the amended return is already noted before they wait to process a paper return.

You can send it using a method that returns to you a return receipt requested proof of when IRS receives it through the post office.  You can ask the postal worker which method is best.

Here are a couple of methods:

Certified Mail provides the sender with a mailing receipt and electronic verification that an article was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made.

Registered mail is a mail service offered by postal services in many countries, which allows the sender proof of mailing via a mailing receipt and, upon request, electronic verification that an article was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies